• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants ADD/ADHD Evaluation

Ilove2nod

Bluelighter
So I believe I have either ADD or ADHD and my sub doctor told me that I should see a psychiatrist and get an evaluation. I currently take about 6mgs of subutex and 3mg of klonopin everyday because I also have general anxiety and social anxiety disorder and have been and still into opiates, but very rarely take them anymore because I have grown to like my subs. My sub doctor said if I had ADD/ADHD and proved that to her by getting an evaluation she would prescribe Adderall or Ritalin depending on which one I have. So what does a typical ADD evaluation consist of? I am about to make an appointment to get one and just wondered if anyone on here had insight of what they do during an eval.? I feel like I legitimately need something to help me focus and stay on task because I am always wandering off in my head and forget things people just asked me or told me, constantly interrupting people, etc. and have been like that my whole life. any help would be great thanks.

It will be a simple test, and if you got ADD you will have trouble doing it. Don't drink coffee and don't have any drugs a day before the test and if you have ADD it will be obvious that you take more time to do something others do much faster. It's all time based, they don't got other parameters, weather it's multi-tasking issues or coordination, it's all time based. They will also tell you a story and ask you to remember as many details as you can. If you have trouble paying attention, you probably won't remember much of what is said.

Wtffffffff no fucking lie I had my sub appt yesterday & I swear on everything he said I should see my PCP for adderal. Super weird. He said I was real smart asked how I did in school, told him I failed every year cept when I took addies for 2 semesters n got all A's n B's & 1C....around that time in HS I tried getting a script from my doc, I think he did some Bs tests can't remember but he did give me a form to have my teachers fill out, with their assessments....obv they said don't change anything w/ me since I was doing so good (cuz of the addies I was taking & not scribed) didn't tell my doc I was already on addies as I was young n worried about consequence. Either way I've been thinking I might need them too these days. Although when I was taking them those 2 semesters I would get home n pace my room, have that heavy chest feeling of anxiety, smoke mad ciggys, lost weight, sleep was hard so I'm sort of torn on if I need them or not. I was prob on too high of a dose but idk

It will be a simple test, and if you got ADD you will have trouble doing it. It's all time based, they don't got other parameters, weather it's multi-tasking issues or coordination, it's all time based. They will also tell you a story and ask you to remember as many details as you can. If you have trouble paying attention, you probably won't remember much of what is said.

It seems pretty easy to fake the desease ( and have Adderall for free) with a test like this.

It seems pretty easy to fake the desease ( and have Adderall for free) with a test like this.

I don't know how it works where you are (I'm guessing the US because you're referring to Adderall) but here any medical mental illness diagnosis has an observational component. So it's not just on paper how long you took to do something, how you describe your symptoms, etc - it also includes an assessment by a psychiatrist that is based on clinical observation of your symptoms. So while, yeah, you could theoretically fake ADHD in completing the test, you'd have to do so in a way that was consistent with the behaviours, mannerisms, performance and other criteria that your psychiatrist has observed and studied in actual ADHD patients throughout their career.

It's harder that you'd think - they're trained to look for a lot of really small but significant details. This is one of the reasons people with atypical symptoms struggle to get diagnosed and treated.

I don't know how it works where you are (I'm guessing the US because you're referring to Adderall) but here any medical mental illness diagnosis has an observational component. So it's not just on paper how long you took to do something, how you describe your symptoms, etc - it also includes an assessment by a psychiatrist that is based on clinical observation of your symptoms. So while, yeah, you could theoretically fake ADHD in completing the test, you'd have to do so in a way that was consistent with the behaviours, mannerisms, performance and other criteria that your psychiatrist has observed and studied in actual ADHD patients throughout their career.

It's harder that you'd think - they're trained to look for a lot of really small but significant details. This is one of the reasons people with atypical symptoms struggle to get diagnosed and treated.

Thanks.

JoEhJoEh

My evaluation for ADD also consisted of 2 huge packet questionnaires. I had to fill one out rating my behaviours before the age of 12 and I had to have one person who knew me well (my sister) fill one out about how she remembered my behaviours before the age of 12. My sister actually rated me higher on the ADD scale than I did. This portion I believe was to determine if it was undiagnosed childhood ADD (commonly undiagnosed in those of is lacking the hyperactive component) or if it was adult onset which has an adjustment of things to look for to accurately diagnose.

When I took the test in high school I had to answer 100 questions in a packet about my symptoms and then they had my parents take the test and 3 teachers of my choice take the test. All of them ended up positive for ADD. I told the truth in the thing but it would've been insanely easy to fake too.

It'd be easy for one person to fake the survey but I think that's why they make other people do it too lol.

I have an appointment to get one this month now, I cant stand working with it anymore. it is very hard to deal with in my line of work. the doc I am going to see doesn't prescribe any stims I was told when I made the appointment, also I don't have anyone to go with so I don't know how it will work out. All I do know for sure is my sub doc is the one who told me to get an evaluation for ADD and if I had it she said she would give me Adderall, and I wouldn't have to worry about going to 2 different docs, I could just go to her. she is very cool. I hope this other doc isn't a pain in the ass doing the eval.

When I told the lady that scheduled my original evaluation that I thought I needed to be medicated for add she also tried to tell me the likelihood I'd get any prescriptions for it is pretty low. I think it's a deterrent tactic they use to weed out seekers.

I have an appointment to get one this month now, I cant stand working with it anymore. it is very hard to deal with in my line of work. the doc I am going to see doesn't prescribe any stims I was told when I made the appointment, also I don't have anyone to go with so I don't know how it will work out. All I do know for sure is my sub doc is the one who told me to get an evaluation for ADD and if I had it she said she would give me Adderall, and I wouldn't have to worry about going to 2 different docs, I could just go to her. she is very cool. I hope this other doc isn't a pain in the ass doing the eval.

I understand that you are going only for an evaluation and your current doctor would prescribe the adderall

But I'm not sure why you made an appointment somewhere that they straight up told you they don't prescribe stims ? If they don't prescribe them, wouldn't they also not recommend them? Or were you referred there by your doctor? Or is it just that they are going to evaluate whether or not you have ADD?

It just sounds a bit off, especially as stims are the default treatment for ADD. If they deal with a lot of ADD they are going to be prescribing stims. so to be going somewhere hoping for a diagnosis from such a place doesn't sound like its in your best interests. Why not go somewhere that commonly treats ADD?

I know there are doctors in pain management that will come out and say they don't prescribe opiates. But there are other effective ways of helping manage pain. Whereas With ADD stims seem to be the main treatment

Anyway hopefully it works out for you.

I think it's because his gp wants him professionally evaluated and tested and that's not his scope of practice. An office that won't prescribe Stims will still diagnose based on the testing they usually will just turn to cbt and non stim treatments but once the diagnosis is proven by the test his gp feels more comfortable treating him at that point. A gp can treat add but really isn't qualified to give a psychological diagnosis.

YES! I am only going for the evaluation just to have proof I have either ADHD or ADD.. I have all the traits of ADD and some ADHD but not all. And my sub doctor told me in exact words " I have no problem whatsoever prescribing you something like Adderall or Ritalin if you can get an evaluation and prove to me you do have ADD or ADHD." I am sure this shrink I am going to get the evaluation from will try giving me something like strattera (not sure how its spelled) which probably wont do shit for my ADD, as I have read all about it and it doesn't have very good reviews, whereas I know for a fact Adderall helps me focus and concentrate perfect. when I take it, its like something in my brain that was missing all my life is put back where it is supposed to be. I don't get really "high" from Adderall, just focused and amped/motivated to go out and do what I like to do to the fullest, or go to work without making any flaws. I would prefer to see a psychiatrist who didn't straight up say "we don't prescribe stimulant meds" but I cant afford it.. and I only have 5 psychiatrists who accept my insurance in the area, with the one I am going to see having a 5 star rating, compared to all the others having less than 2 stars.