• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Acetylated Cannabinoids

Nexus_Tripper

Bluelighter
Is the synthesis for O-acetyl cannabinoids as simple as adding ground dope to acetic acid, leaving it overnight, then removing the acid and doing an IPA extraction?

Really if your calling it dope you need to reconsider your use. Cannabis shouldn't turn you into a dope

Chemistry is not that simple unfortunately just because one thing has the correct electron configuration for one reaction to work doesnt mean all compounds have that electron configuration and shape. You need an alcohol group to acetylate, as it is a good leaving group it likes to make water go figure, and since you dont know what that means you cant do it :)

THC does have an alcohol group but when you say cannabiniods I dont think you mean THC, funny isnt it?

It is possible to acetylate THC and other cannabinoids, it'll increase potency & weight, but the method described in the OP is all wrong.

Chemistry is not that simple unfortunately just because one thing has the correct electron configuration for one reaction to work doesnt mean all compounds have that electron configuration and shape. You need an alcohol group to acetylate, as it is a good leaving group it likes to make water go figure, and since you dont know what that means you cant do it :)

THC does have an alcohol group but when you say cannabiniods I dont think you mean THC, funny isnt it?

I mean THC and THCV

Ah I suppose it is my bad for thinking you were attempting it with legal cannabiniods which is why I was sure to qualify it as such.

I guess it isn't against the rules to say you can search google for the synthesis. You're going to need a fume cupboard & acetic anhydride, I think it'll be easier if you extract the cannabinoids from the plant material first. It seems like it could be interesting & relatively easy, but you can't just soak your weed in vinegar, you'll need some equipment & knowledge.

There's a wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THC-O-acetate

the phenolic OH on THC is too acidic enough to get acetylated effectively with acetic acid (viz. glacial AA only turns the allylic alcohol on morphine to 6-MAM)

There's a book called cannabis alchemy. It has the full rundown on not only converting, but extracting thc to its purest using a process involving acid, base, and non polar solvents. Kind of similar to extracting dmt from mimosa, but so much more complicated.