• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Acetone wash 2nd attempt. WTF HAPPENED

SylvesterAlone

Greenlighter
Hello, new member here. Recently began smoking because snorting meth was taking its toll. I decided to learn to wash. I followed on a post here how to do the acetone bath. My first attempt worked just fine. Yield wasn't as terrible as I expected given product has been garbage. That was with roughly .4 so I decided to attempt with double that. Out of the roughly .8 the yield was high .3 at best but as soon as I put it in my bulb and lit IT ALL WENT BLACK INSTANTLY. Everything I have remaining is all bad. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??

Step 1: Crush finely as I can
2: glass shot glass
3: acetone (Kwik strip 1 quart %100 acetone) until submerged
4: Stir for 4-5min
5: while stirring, poured through coffee filter (natural, brown colored, unbleached)
6: Folded filter and let air out for damn near 40min

This process worked great my first attempt. Only thing I did different was the first try I used 2 filters and made a mess. I do not understand is it just bad batch??

Method sounds right. Likely bad batch.

The stuff that went black in your bulb was a non-acetone suluble cut. Even if your acetone wasn’t anhydrous all that would have hapened is it would have dissolved your meth and the meth wouls have passed through the filter and been lost.

Method sounds right. Likely bad batch.

The stuff that went black in your bulb was a non-acetone suluble cut. Even if your acetone wasn’t anhydrous all that would have hapened is it would have dissolved your meth and the meth wouls have passed through the filter and been lost.
So why would the acetone have dissolved the meth now and not the other time? I was under the assumption from what I read that acetone does not dissolve it ever. It's as if the second time it had the exact 180 effect where only the cut was left in the filter. I'm no chemist but this shit has me baffled.

So why would the acetone have dissolved the meth now and not the other time? I was under the assumption from what I read that acetone does not dissolve it ever. It's as if the second time it had the exact 180 effect where only the cut was left in the filter. I'm no chemist but this shit has me baffled.
No the acetone didn't dissolve the meth, it has to be something else.
The black color indicates combustion (something burned there), likely from some kind of contamination. Assuming you didn't drop your meth at some point, are you sure that your equipment was clean? Check the glass shot and the filters. It could have been caused by some kind of grease/oil residue, dust, food particles, etc...

No the acetone didn't dissolve the meth, it has to be something else.
The black color indicates combustion (something burned there), likely from some kind of contamination. Assuming you didn't drop your meth at some point, are you sure that your equipment was clean? Check the glass shot and the filters. It could have been caused by some kind of grease/oil residue, dust, food particles, etc...
I didn't consider that but that would make sense as a possibility. Dammit. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how someone would even attempt to salvage it in that case. I'm fairly crafty but absolutely no chemist by any means 😩 the life of a poverty stricken habitual user 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do appreciate y'all taking the few moments to reply though.

I didn't consider that but that would make sense as a possibility. Dammit. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how someone would even attempt to salvage it in that case. I'm fairly crafty but absolutely no chemist by any means 😩 the life of a poverty stricken habitual user 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do appreciate y'all taking the few moments to reply though.
In this case I'm not sure but you could try something like this:
1) Dissolve it in distilled water (bottled water may work).
2) Filter it, ideally with a micron/wheel filter if you can get them. Otherwise, a clean cotton filter may work but watch out for the fibers.
3) Let the water evaporate on a clean dish (protected from dust, etc.).

Test it to see whether it still turns black or not. If it does then wash it with acetone again.
If that doesn't work then there's probably nothing to do (except for a full acid/base extraction). But you could still take it by a different ROA (obviously don't inject it).

Edit: @SylvesterAlone you could also try using a small amount of ethanol instead of water (though alcohol dissolves some fats as well).

Last edited:
Hello, new member here. Recently began smoking because snorting meth was taking its toll. I decided to learn to wash. I followed on a post here how to do the acetone bath. My first attempt worked just fine. Yield wasn't as terrible as I expected given product has been garbage. That was with roughly .4 so I decided to attempt with double that. Out of the roughly .8 the yield was high .3 at best but as soon as I put it in my bulb and lit IT ALL WENT BLACK INSTANTLY. Everything I have remaining is all bad. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??

Step 1: Crush finely as I can
2: glass shot glass
3: acetone (Kwik strip 1 quart %100 acetone) until submerged
4: Stir for 4-5min
5: while stirring, poured through coffee filter (natural, brown colored, unbleached)
6: Folded filter and let air out for damn near 40min

This process worked great my first attempt. Only thing I did different was the first try I used 2 filters and made a mess. I do not understand is it just bad batch??
Reading your post dude, the acetone wash is to remove the adulterant's but it still leaves it as Cocaine HCL, you need to do the wash by precipitation, which is the Bi Cab, water and heat and the it will change the melting point of the COC HCL into Cocaine sulphate, which is no good to stick up your nose but you can now smoke it. The reason it went black is because it has not been converted into "Crack" hope this helps man. I have never done it as I don't do Crack. There are threads on here, giving full rundown on doing it on the spoon and precipitation via Ammonia.

Reading your post dude, the acetone wash is to remove the adulterant's but it still leaves it as Cocaine HCL, you need to do the wash by precipitation, which is the Bi Cab, water and heat and the it will change the melting point of the COC HCL into Cocaine sulphate, which is no good to stick up your nose but you can now smoke it. The reason it went black is because it has not been converted into "Crack" hope this helps man. I have never done it as I don't do Crack. There are threads on here, giving full rundown on doing it on the spoon and precipitation via Ammonia. Sorry mate I think I got the wrong Drug.

Reading your post dude, the acetone wash is to remove the adulterant's but it still leaves it as Cocaine HCL, you need to do the wash by precipitation, which is the Bi Cab, water and heat and the it will change the melting point of the COC HCL into Cocaine sulphate, which is no good to stick up your nose but you can now smoke it. The reason it went black is because it has not been converted into "Crack" hope this helps man. I have never done it as I don't do Crack. There are threads on here, giving full rundown on doing it on the spoon and precipitation via Ammonia.
I do appreciate the response as you took the time and made it informative. However I was asking about glass, not snow.

Acetone burns quite cleanly so it might have been your batch or your technique for heating.

Idk if pure meth decomp more than impure stuff but that could also be something.

Sorry. I was a bit confused if the meth was the same batch both times. A few observations:

1, Acetone absorbs water easily from the atmosphere. Gradually this increases its ability to dissolve meth. Keep your acetone dry and don’t reuse it.
2, Some cuts dissolve in acetone and pass through the filter
3. Some cuts don’t
4. Temperature has a big impact on what will dissolve and how long it takes.If the temperature between two washes is very different you can get quite different results.

**UPDATE**
Homie insisted the stuff was just fine and witnessed him put .2(unwashed, no acetone) in his, lit the bulb once and it all instantly caked black. Aside from that being disgusting, I can conclude I did not mistakenly contaminate it, that the cut is making it through the acetone. I have no idea wtf it is. It's almost like a tar or glue like leftover. And it's incredibly difficult to clean out. Even pulverizing it with the blowtorch.

Seeing as how at this point I've lost my money and invested the time for whatever unknown reason, I'm considering being extra and going for the dilution path described with the distilled water. Cause why not. Learning. 🤙

I have distilled. But I do not have the 0.22 micron filter. Any acceptable options for a substitute? Multi layering coffee filters? Maybe bust open the water purifier on the sink? Lol idgaf

**UPDATE**
Homie insisted the stuff was just fine and witnessed him put .2(unwashed, no acetone) in his, lit the bulb once and it all instantly caked black. Aside from that being disgusting, I can conclude I did not mistakenly contaminate it, that the cut is making it through the acetone. I have no idea wtf it is. It's almost like a tar or glue like leftover. And it's incredibly difficult to clean out. Even pulverizing it with the blowtorch.

Seeing as how at this point I've lost my money and invested the time for whatever unknown reason, I'm considering being extra and going for the dilution path described with the distilled water. Cause why not. Learning. 🤙

I have distilled. But I do not have the 0.22 micron filter. Any acceptable options for a substitute? Multi layering coffee filters? Maybe bust open the water purifier on the sink? Lol idgaf
Oh yeah it's a bad batch then, cut with who knows what... I only suggested the contamination thing because I thought you meant that your first wash worked just fine (from the same batch).
Are you even sure it's meth??

I once came across something similar, it looked like meth but behaved like some kind of plastic, especially the way it "melted" (like melted plastic). Further heating caused it to turn red and then black, the smoke was nasty (I just smelled it). It was practically insoluble in water as well IIRC. Other people reported stimulant effects when snorted but I never really bothered with it.

Lots of things don't dissolve in acetone. Plain old salt being but one example. The often claimed but never proven to exist in meth substance n-iso does not dissolve in acetone. Most plastics (but not all) won't dissolve.

@Black Lab coat. IMO this is kind of a good news story since you've learned a lot about meth quality and testing. I hope your supply of fake meth didn't cost too much and that you have an alternative connect to go to.

FYI. If I was buying say 1/2 OZ or more from anyone, including my regular connect, I would test it with a one shot reagent test. If the connect doesn't like that, then Fuck them. They should stand by their product.

For smaller amounts a very quick test is to melt a small shard very quickly in a small aluminum foil V-shaped chanel/boat to check it all melts at the point you'd expect, that it forms a basically clear puddle, that it runs up and down the foil with the heat of the lighter, and that it turns into clear vapor with no chemical smell. You can do that test on less than half a point. Tell you guy you'll pay for a half point out of the bag to test before buying the whole bag. If he says no, also Fuck him.

Lots of things don't dissolve in acetone. Plain old salt being but one example. The often claimed but never proven to exist in meth substance n-iso does not dissolve in acetone. Most plastics (but not all) won't dissolve.

@Black Lab coat. IMO this is kind of a good news story since you've learned a lot about meth quality and testing. I hope your supply of fake meth didn't cost too much and that you have an alternative connect to go to.

FYI. If I was buying say 1/2 OZ or more from anyone, including my regular connect, I would test it with a one shot reagent test. If the connect doesn't like that, then Fuck them. They should stand by their product.

For smaller amounts a very quick test is to melt a small shard very quickly in a small aluminum foil V-shaped chanel/boat to check it all melts at the point you'd expect, that it forms a basically clear puddle, that it runs up and down the foil with the heat of the lighter, and that it turns into clear vapor with no chemical smell. You can do that test on less than half a point. Tell you guy you'll pay for a half point out of the bag to test before buying the whole bag. If he says no, also Fuck him.
That's actually very solid legit advice my guy. I appreciate all the input I get from here. This site rocks. Making an account was a very excellent decision!

Hi there Atomic_Decay, thanks for your reply, but I got it wrong in the first place. I thought the OP was talking about snow, not Meth so I put up the wrong wash up process. I don't do meth, just some blow nice and clean. Thanks for the information and the time to answer! yours BCL