• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Abuse potential of buprenorphine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeywhite

Bluelighter
As usual for me, I've been temporarily rotated from 10 mgm. diamorphine to 35 mcgm./h transdermal buprenorphine as my chronic pain reliever at my request, to prevent my tolerance rising. I'll probably go back on the diamorphine next month, or the month after next.

Anyway, I don't use either as prescribed; I tend to p.r.n. my diamorphine instead of using it by the clock, which prevents the well-known discontinuation syndrome as well as tolerance, and I do the same to buprenorphine. I also occasionally use them intravenously in the spirit of recreation. For buprenorphine, I do it by splitting the patch and soaking the inner plastic layer (total content: 20 mgm.) in water.

What's puzzling, though, is that buprenorphine is so much more recreational to me than diamorphine is (the former is known as TranstecTM and the latter as HeroinTM or DiagesilTM). I'm not sure if I'm using an equipotent dose of both (I use 10 mgm. of either) but with the exception of the initial pins-and-needles, diamorphine gives me nothing more than a pleasurable warmth, while buprenorphine frequently knocks me out, as in I get a droopy head for a moment, wake up, and then my head starts drooping, etc etc. Buprenorphine taken in this fashion lasts 12 hours; I'm lucky if the diamorphine lasts half that.

Yes, there's a ceiling effect with buprenorphine and tolerance builds F-A-S-T; I lose the buzz with buprenorphine on the fourth or fifth consecutive day of (mis)use in this manner, whereas with diamorphine I probably wouldn't if I used it day in and day out for a month. Still, on that first or second day, Transtec easily outstrips Heroin when it comes to that famous inner warmth and inner moisture.

Why is bupe so much stronger with its pleasurable effects? Hydromorphone is also very strong, but intensely short acting. I feel like 10 mgm. buprenorphine or 1/4 gr. hydro is about as strong as 50-60 mgm. diamorphine, but the latter still wouldn't make me crave it as much as bupe or hydromorphone does.

This isn't really appropriate for bdd, I have to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.