about lsd induced thought loops

frankmilton

Greenlighter
ive done lsd only once about a month ago and i did it alone
at that time i wasnt aware of the thought loops so i wasnt expecting it
however when i got stuck in the loop i felt really helpless and scared
its really hard to describe the experience in words but
i was able to visualize my thought(i think?) and it kept repeating very fast
like when a movie lags and the very short fragment of the movie plays over and over again
i also felt as if my mind would stay that way forever
this was my first time experiencing psychedelic drug so i freaked out
flushing 6 tabs of acid down the toilet hahaha
anyways what i really want to know is
is there a way to avoid thought loops? because they are NOT pleasant at all and
i would like to try lsd again
also is mushroom experience very different from lsd?
i would like to try mushrooms as well but i heard it is more extreme and uncontrollable
edit: the thought loop i experienced felt more freaky because i had a minor suicidal thought

Last edited:
Very good question. We have to realize that LSD is not very stable if our minds are restless. This doesn't necessarily mean bad, but a restless mind can soon breed a bad trip. The second you ingest the drug I would suggest sitting down and meditating. You can be aware of your breath or third eye or whatever but just be in the present moment and see the beauty of having nothing to do. Even a 30-60 minute meditation depending on when it hits you, will ensure that the drug comes on easily and most importantly to a clear relaxed an RECEPTIVE mind. awareness meditation can do you wonders. And there's no way to stop a bad trip. The sooner you ware yourself out trying the sooner it will turn to normal of its own accord but we just have to either accept it or meditate on it and actually explore these issues we are having. Often times a bad trip will reveal negative thought patterns we have in our daily lives to a much greater and impacting extent to where we are forced to evaluate ourselves and our thought patterns fully and without denial

I have read lsd binds to dopamine more aggressively than common tryptaminesb like psylocybin. I believe this may be the reason to thought loops and other psychosis effects lsd is known to set off. I'm sure the mechanism of action isn't as easy to understand as that though.

Keeping your dosage low and doing it in a friendly set and setting, and being aware that it can cause these sort of thought loops (provide yourself with some distractions - music, toys etc) can help to take the edge off.

I always associated the phenomenon of 'thought loops' with the minds attempt to comprehend the concept of infinity and thus been influenced by the environment and state of mind to create and endless loop of a given situation, im not suggesting this is true.. but i find it interesting. This never occurred to me until i had a full fledged experience of timelessness with DMT that forced me to consider the times i experienced thought loops on LSD.