• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ability of GC/MS to detect fentanyl in samples of other less potent drugs

PhospholipaseA2

Greenlighter
I have some AL-LAD and ETH-LAD (from what I believe to be a reputable source) and have sent samples to Energy Control for identification, but I have a question because I was quite surprised to hear that recently, carfentanil has been found sold on acid-style blotter in Quebec: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...-prompt-warnings-from-public-health-1.4532862

I was wondering about the ability of chromatography/mass spec to detect small quantities of potent drugs in the midst of a larger quantity of another drug. For example, if the sample is found to contain 150ug of AL-LAD and 30ug of unidentified impurities, can I be sure that it does not contain even 1ug of carfentanil?

Yes. It will show different peaks with GCMS testing than the lysergamides.

Ok, I understand that it's going to have a different retention time on the chromatograph. I'm curious though, is there any point where this breaks down? Let's say you have a pill that contains 100mg MDMA and 1ug carfentanil. Would the carfentanil peak even show up as a peak on the gas chromatograph when there is a peak that is 100,000 times as abundant? Could a technologist that is not specifically looking for carfentanil detect it?

Last edited:
Yes every peak shows up individually. If you know what peak to look for then you can identify it. The issues would come from if you didn't know which peak to look for

The issues would come from if you didn't know which peak to look for
Most GCMS software allows you to find peaks based upon the presence of particular ion fragment masses, so it's simply a matter of plugging in the biggest peaks from a reference spectrum of carfentanil.

It's important to remember that a GC's detection limit is not infinitely small, if you only had a few micrograms of fentanyl mixed into kilos of cocaine it may not be detected. Then again, it wouldn't be a concern at that level.

Selling RC lysergides with fentanyl contamination would be what is called a "dumb idea" by the titans of industry... it would require intentional cross contamination by a drug of a totally different class.

I'm just pointing out one would need control data, if I'm not mistaken, to identify what peak to look for a spike beyond a certain point indicating a large enough presence of the substance... Correct me if I'm wrong.

It depends on the LOD and LOQ of the analytical method...and the lowest callibration standard used to make the call curve.

Typically labs test for 1o to 1oox lower in concentration for fent vs a drug with higher dosage like MDMA.

If the labs u sent for don't have analogues like carefent programmed into thier method, u won't even know.

There are those less common ones like acrylfent.... Either way just saying reference would be needed and if one didn't have it they could miss a peak

Selling RC lysergides with fentanyl contamination would be what is called a "dumb idea" by the titans of industry... it would require intentional cross contamination by a drug of a totally different class.

I agree it would be a insanely stupid idea to put any fent on a psychedelic blotter and sell as purely a psychedelic tab but the contamination does not need to be intentional. The people selling this stuff could be packaging the fent and everything else in close proximity and it?s entirely possible that it could be accidentally contaminated.

OP?s concern seems valid to me with all of the ultra potent fent analogues out there.

Just as an update: I emailed [email protected] and he said yes, their setup will be able to detect fentanyls. Here is the exact question I put to him:
will the test be able to detect fentanyls even if another active substance is present in much higher quantity? So for instance if AL-LAD is present but 1ug of carfentanil is also there, will the test be able to detect the carfentanil even though there is a lot more AL-LAD in the sample?

Last edited:
Personally I'd be more worried about the off chance of an NBOMe over 1ug of Carfentanil. Come to think of it we even had a Trip Report for Carfentanil where the supposed chemist was hitting a milligram at a time of foil. Sounded plausible but you can decide for yourself.

I think those dosages he state are way too high and there should be a note added stating that there is very little use and no real evidence to back up there claim and that anyone should start with less than a mg as I know I've seen another poster recommend closer to 0.8 ug for carfent so to recommend multiple mg is extremely dangerous...

He does say 10 mg of fent is average for him so I'd really add that note as there is no way he can assess doses for a non tolerant person. I'd suggest stating 0.8 ug maximum for carfent