• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Abcess?

chrisrine122

Greenlighter
How can you tell if something is an abcess you need treated or if its simply something that will go away, like when you "miss" a shot?
I've been injecting my methadone (yes, I know its bad) but today when I injected some and now my arm really hurts and its warm to the touch where I injected
Is this an abcess or will it clear up on its own

I would see a doctor or medical professional just to make sure you are OK. I'm moving this to other drugs for you.

Do a search for our IV complications megathread. Read it :).

Is there a bump or discoloration? How much hotter is it than the rest of your skin?

If it doesn't show signs of improving or gets worse within the next 24 hours, go to a hospital.

Shooting methadone is a terrible idea. Please realize how poor of a choice you are making. It's not even close to worth the risk to shoot stuff that isn't meant to be IV'ed.

If you are going to bang dope, do it right.

When you miss a shot wash and apply a hot wet bandage it will greatly reduce swelling and almost completely eliminate the chance of getting an abscess.

I've had an abscess before. It took 3 weeks for it to 'fully' develop. I got lucky but it started as a small bump then gradually got harder and harder and grew and grew until my entire forearm was so swollen that I couldnt sleep for 3 days because I was in such agonizing pain. It went from warm to the touch to very hot. And I looked like Popeye from the swelling. Doctor said if I would've waited even just 2 more days I had risked losing my arm, when he sliced it open it gushed green and yellow gunk everywhere. Table was covered in it and we had to leave it open for 2 weeks to drain. Now I got a big old scare from that close call. So in other words be safe and get it checked not worth it. And methadone ain't worth smashing at all brah.
I'll see if I can find some pictures from when it was infected. I have some somewhere.

When you miss a shot wash and apply a hot wet bandage it will greatly reduce swelling and almost completely eliminate the chance of getting an abscess.
Hot compress for missed shot to scatter what was missed and help it absorb and cold compress after it becomes an abscess, to localize the infection.

Links dont work.

@op: get it checked. Someone on bluelight lost an arm because of something similar.

No one asked if the op is shooting pills or syrup. Miss does not mean access until it is infected.

No one asked if the op is shooting pills or syrup. Miss does not mean access until it is infected.
Was just using harm reduction. It's better to get it checked out before turns into an abcess from an infection. Not meaning it happened but it is sure possible that it can.

no point in injecting methadone, the oral BA should be high enough already

an abscess is typically yellowish and pus filled, foul smelling due to bacterial colonization.. not like a typical miss where it is just swollen and red

/\impossible bacteria must grow to the point of producing pus and near being infected if not getting infected. That can not happen instantly it will take time.

I have a spot I was sure it would abscess however it still shoes no puss but is hard. My question is the skin is peeling of the spot what is this???