• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A year after marijuana legalisation in Colorado, 'everything's fine' confirm police

greengummybear

Bluelighter
The Independent said:
A year after marijuana legalisation in Colorado, 'everything's fine' confirm police
Tuesday 20 January 2015

It's been a year since Colorado became the first state in the US to legalise marijuana, and its impact on health, crime, employment and other factors can now be more empirically measured.

So, did it bring about an apocalypse leaving the streets strewn with out-of-work addicts as some Republicans feared?

"We found there hasn't been much of a change of anything," a Denver police officer told CBC this week.

"Basically, officers aren't seeing much of a change in how they do police work."

Not only has the legalisation of cannabis not come with a rise in crime, it has also created thousands of jobs, as tourists flock to the city's 60+ marijuana outlets.

A local newspaper even appointed its first cannabis critic in April.

"So the sky isn't falling?" a CBC reporter asked the officer. "The sky isn't falling," he replied.

Impaired driving, property crime and violent crime were all dropping in Denver prior to legalisation, and the trend has only continued. Even drug use among young people is down, the report claims.

Colorado's unprecedented move led to Washington, Alaska and Oregon voting for legalisation, and this week a bill was filed to legalise it in New York.

Cannabis remains a Class B drug in the UK, carrying a prison sentence for possession of up to five years.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-everythings-fine-confirm-police-9989723.html

Imagine that, the sky didn't come crumbling down. Where is God amongst all of this chaos?

It's a trick by the devil. First lure in the foolish. Then when they're there and are too high to realize what's what that's when it'll happen. They'll be thinking it's safe and funkadelic. Then boom! Rapture time.

We'll see how "groovy" everyone is then. The land scorched and emanating a weird skunky smoke smell. The people with crazed bloodshot eyes and an insatiable hunger for all things food. I'll escape the smoke immersed land on my cross spaceship headed for heaven where the Almighty conveniently likes all the things I like and hates all the things I hate.

This fantastic news suggests one out of the four following possibilities:

A - Prohibitionist politicians, their bureaucratic lackeys, and like-minded mainstream press are in fact all clueless idiots, and not the credible "experts" which they're seemingly thought to be. And any attempt by actual experts to prove them wrong is ignored due to pride, living in denial, and prejudice.

B - Prohibitionist politicians, their bureaucratic lackeys, and like-minded mainstream press are incredibly crooked individuals who have purposely deceived countless naive Americans in order to profit from extremely over-priced black market drugs by way of exploiting drug-related policies or laws such as Asset Forfeiture and/or Mandatory Minimums.

C - Prohibitionist politicians, their bureaucratic lackeys, and like-minded mainstream press are aware that they are preaching a big fat lie, yet willfully continue to do so because their pockets are lined with cash from the American elite who stand to lose a lot of money if such substances become legal and regulated.

D - Prohibitionist politicians, their bureaucratic lackeys, and like-minded mainstream press comprise a fluctuating - but thankfully, also a steadily decreasing - mixture of options 'A, B,' and 'C.'

Imagine that, the sky didn't fall and it was a boom for the economy. Hopefully this tidal wave keeps going forward.

Who would have thought semi-legal marijuana access wouldn't cause mass hysteria, anarchy, rising teenage use and general retardification of the population.

I am glad they didn't get an influx of hard drug addicts. That is what sucked about Amsterdam there is a large visible addict population that the other side loves to point to as a failure. The anti crowd can't point to any failures in Colorado's plan.

^ I guess every big city has problems with drug addicts... ever been to Frankfurt (Germany)? the inner city there is packed with junkies. I don't think this has anything to do with cannabis being decriminalized/legal.

Havent you seen the news reports though the homeless are moving to CO for their drugs! Its actually the homeless with issues that marijuana cures are moving to CO to obtain legal treatment, and thus that statistic is kind of true. My methadone clinic requires you to attend groups and the counselors are retards, he basically said marijuana causes homelessness or that these people are such big addicts they give up their live to move to CO so they can get high. The counselor was a former addict and he is trying to convince the group marijuana is so addictive this is happening and that as addicts we have to realize that if we smoke weed we will sell our houses and cars to live in the streets of CO to smoke weed, yes that was what he said. I'm old enough to know that this situation was not one to "flex my nuts" sort of speak because hes just one of those "all pleasures lead to heroin and we must attend groups!" kind of former junkie.

Those can be the worst type of former junkie! I just have a problem giving too much rope with people who's intentions are just too good (a.k.a. suspect).