• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids A Study in Gabapentin

Keif' Richards

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Does the Slowing of Intestinal Motility affect the absorption or Gabapentin?

I was perusing Wikipedia the other day, reading about Gabapentin absorption rates over my morning Coffee, as I do.

Well, it seems that there is a case-study involving the co-administration of Morphine and GBP that would seem to indicate a 50% increase in absorption of the latter.

Being that Gabapentin is not significantly metabolized, a drug interaction is highly unlikely to he responsible. The likely culprit would be the effects of Morphine on intestinal motility.

I have now experimented twice with this phenomenon and feel that there is a noticeable increase in potency when I pre-administeres 4mg Loperamide (prior) to dosing.

It is really hard to determine what is and is not a result of the Loperamide, but I am very familiar with Gabapentin. I really believe this is legitimate.

I'd love to hear from other people on this topic.

I’ve gastroparesis which is slow motility through the digestive system. I was on gabapentin and it still did not increase its bioavailability in my case. In fact I was moved to pregabalin because it wasn’t working at the max dose which is like 3G in a day. I did experiment with it by taking 300mg every 40 mins and found that it worked much better. So I’m not sure. I am a weird person when it comes to the metabolism of medication in my system so I could be a fluke.

I have now experimented twice with this phenomenon and feel that there is a noticeable increase in potency when I pre-administeres 4mg Loperamide (prior) to dosing.
As much as I dislike lope ('cept what it is Rx-ed for) this is something I can try to reproduce.
Although I do take 2-3g kratom with a morning dose of 600mg of GBP each day... I will wait til tomorrow AM to give it a go. I get that kratom may not be the optimal "opioid" to compare results with lope (or other proper opi), we will see if I notice any difference....
Taking one for the advancement of human-kind. ;)
Ptah

I'm going to move this to Other Drugs as it's not a trip report.

Yea my bad on that one Xorktoth. I envisioned it as an semi-educational trip report.

This is very interesting, reckon the same would work with pregabalin? I have a pile of that stuff knocking about and could certainly try this.

Pregabalin has a good bioavailability does it not though?

It does indeed, about 90% iirc, but I'd be curious to see if a dose of lope changes anything. An increase in absorption might also have an effect on the long onset.

I'm not sure whether pregabalin is absorbed via the same amino acid transporter. Oh nevermind, it is. I guess it might increase somewhat but if so the increase would be very small at best, so much so that I wonder if even an extra 10% would be noticeable beyond wondering whether it was placebo?

I'm not sure whether pregabalin is absorbed via the same amino acid transporter. Oh nevermind, it is. I guess it might increase somewhat but if so the increase would be very small at best, so much so that I wonder if even an extra 10% would be noticeable beyond wondering whether it was placebo?

Yeah you are probably right. I was mostly wondering if it would have any effect on the two hour onset. But a 10% increase would be negligible at best.

Might try it anyway just because why not? But not expecting much.

I’ve gastroparesis which is slow motility through the digestive system. I was on gabapentin and it still did not increase its bioavailability in my case. In fact I was moved to pregabalin because it wasn’t working at the max dose which is like 3G in a day. I did experiment with it by taking 300mg every 40 mins and found that it worked much better. So I’m not sure. I am a weird person when it comes to the metabolism of medication in my system so I could be a fluke.
I have prescribed a Lyrica (pregabalin) which is a derivative of gabapentin (neurontin, gabrion) and works PERFECTLY, at least for me... It's REALLY addictive for start, then it starts to build tolerance so damn quick, that you should be on that dose what is prescribed for you... I'm taking it 900mg a day... Sic... Max is 600mg.... But the withdrawal is A WORSE than benzos years taking.... But gabapentin max dosage here is 3600mg, and I am took it over 6000mg for day and it has nothing effects on my chronic nerve pain and GAD, but pregabalin is working like a miracle...

I have prescribed a Lyrica (pregabalin) which is a derivative of gabapentin (neurontin, gabrion) and works PERFECTLY, at least for me... It's REALLY addictive for start, then it starts to build tolerance so damn quick, that you should be on that dose what is prescribed for you... I'm taking it 900mg a day... Sic... Max is 600mg.... But the withdrawal is A WORSE than benzos years taking.... But gabapentin max dosage here is 3600mg, and I am took it over 6000mg for day and it has nothing effects on my chronic nerve pain and GAD, but pregabalin is working like a miracle...
Oh I came off pregabalin I was taking the max dose and the side effects are not worth it. My brain was turning to mush. Couldn’t think straight. Yes the withdrawal from that was one of the worst I’ve been through. I had effects lasting months.

stacking pentins at least 3 times a week is a must for me these days, it's miracle drug for me.

Interesting concept, you could almost logically come to the conclusion that if it sits in the stomach longer it has a chance to transport more instead of wasting it. This is worth a try, but yeah as mentioned I wonder if it would be enough to discern placebo effects, or would it be clear that say 600 mgs does feel like 1200 mgs. I may have to try it. I almost never have tried even a recommended dose of loperamide for diarhea as the one or two time I did it took a day to go to the bathroom again. But I may try 1 or 2 mgs on my next gabapentin night.

@nznity, Gabapenin seems to a miracle to me too for my sciatica. I learned early on though that even once a week has kept it toned down and I don't have to go through all my pills. I like some laying around for opiate withdrawal that may arise in the future for whatever reason. There is a quick tolerance, but just putting two days in between makes it work just fine. In fact the times I have done it twice in a week it seems stronger if I had just done it a few days earllier.

Interesting concept, you could almost logically come to the conclusion that if it sits in the stomach longer it has a chance to transport more instead of wasting it. This is worth a try, but yeah as mentioned I wonder if it would be enough to discern placebo effects, or would it be clear that say 600 mgs does feel like 1200 mgs. I may have to try it. I almost never have tried even a recommended dose of loperamide for diarhea as the one or two time I did it took a day to go to the bathroom again. But I may try 1 or 2 mgs on my next gabapentin night.

@nznity, Gabapenin seems to a miracle to me too for my sciatica. I learned early on though that even once a week has kept it toned down and I don't have to go through all my pills. I like some laying around for opiate withdrawal that may arise in the future for whatever reason. There is a quick tolerance, but just putting two days in between makes it work just fine. In fact the times I have done it twice in a week it seems stronger if I had just done it a few days earllier.
Ikr, it's a good medicine for pain AND to enhance yr mood, Energy. I dont take ir everyday so i dont catch a tolerance.