Mental Health A rant - feeling shame. What makes someone an addict?

medicationmeditation

Greenlighter
Hello. I apologize if this is not the right place, I'm new.
Sorry if this is a rant. I just wish I could talk to someone about this stuff, but no one I personally know could listen and understand.

Three years ago I had a surgery and was introduced to prescription painkillers. Post-recovery I used some leftover pills recreationally, twice. I definitely fell in love with them and the experience they offered - if you know, you know. However, I then felt morally wrong about it, as I've always been a do-no-wrong kind of person, and flushed the rest.
Of course, after thinking about it and questioning my moral compass a bit, I really regretted wasting them like that. Who knew you could get so attached from a few low dose experiences? I spent the next year trying to learn how to obtain more, unsuccessfully. I was both terrified of what I was doing, and fascinated, fixed on my desire. It was like I became two people: one fueled by beliefs in right vs wrong, the other fueled by an unquenchable hunger. I found myself in a really dark place, and I was in it alone. You can't tell these things to the people you care about.
I sorted out a new, I guess, identity or mindset, in the next few months. After becoming more knowledgeable about drugs thanks to sites like Bluelight, I accepted myself and learned to find new passions in areas like biochemistry, however my religious beliefs really took a hit. The hunger still lived, but had been tamed. I thought.

So someone I was living with had a minor surgery and received pain medication that they chose not to use. That desire came back real quick, real strong. I hadn't even touched it in a year, so I don't know what was going on in my brain, but I had an opportunity that I could not let pass. They discarded the medication, and I quickly, quietly moved it to my personal possession. Wow, I felt like the dirt on my shoe doing that but I didn't care. With the rest of that bottle, I probably got 3-4 new, nice experiences. I spanned it out over months, knowing the risks and trying to not build tolerance or addiction.

But that's the thing: if I will seize any opportunity to casually use this stuff, even if infrequent, am I an addict?
I'm not physically dependent. I rarely use it. Yet, I know that I will probably have an affinity towards it for the rest of my life. I don't know how many risks I would take to reobtain it in the future, and frankly that aspect of myself scares me.
I can't talk to anyone about it, they would react negatively. But sometimes I wish I could. I have this everlasting itch that continuously bothers me; it nags me to pursue it, and continuously makes me feel like a horrible person because of it. I've controlled it so far, but it's probably one of my deepest problems. It's a secret part of me that lingers constantly but must be kept hidden from everyone. Sometimes that just feels like a burden, but I know I should keep my mouth shut about this stuff.

So there's my rant. How do you guys deal with feelings of shame, desire, and stuff like that? Especially if you keep your drug use - casual or frequent - to yourself. Sometimes it feels mentally exhausting and I just want to have someone there to support me, but sharing this kind of stuff will probably just push people away. How do you all cope?

As a long time opioid addict. Yes you sound like an addict to me. It sucks but yeah that sounds exactly like the kind of mindset I have. That from the moment I found opioids, or perhaps from the moment they found me, they became a huge part of my life I can't seem to ever entirely escape from.

Some of us are just like that. Opioid time bombs just waiting for our first experience, after which they grab into your soul and don't let go.

I've unfortunately done much... Much worse stuff than what you've described, and I definitely understand feeling deep shame and guilt about it. I guess all you can really do is own up to your mistakes, take responsibility, and do your best to make amends and not repeat them. Accept that you can't change the past and focus on the future. It doesn't make the guilt entirely go away. But it can help.

If you need someone to talk to you're welcome to message me though. If nothing else I can promise you you're not alone.

OP, I'd suggest never finding a connection, because it does indeed sound like you probably wouldn't be able to control it for long. I think I might be the same way. I've never had a real problem with opioids, but I think it might be because I could only ever get it sporadically. I never had a main connection or enough money to have a pill habit, and heroin wasn't anything I really ever considered.

I managed to avoid a full on heroin dependence for 13 years after I first tried it, simply because i couldn't directly get it myself. However, during that time I would seize upon every opportunity to get some. Luckily, those opportunities remained sporadic until my drug seeking paid off with a connect. Then another. Then another. Before I knew it I had a phone full of dealers and rapidly decreasing resources. The next 20 years were spent cycling between heaven and hell.

It sounds to me the only thing keeping you away from addiction is lack of availability. But you are already an addict, you just haven't fulfilled the prophecy yet.

But it's only a matter of time.

Turn your back on it now while you still have chance, you owe it to yourself...

OP, Addiction is not now long or how much of a substance we use, Its How it Affects us!!! I am currently physically dependent on Norco , due to past radiation treatments and Neck pain ( which saved my life 12 years cancer free:love:) but cancer is the gift that just keeps giving. But I am addicted to alcohol and ALWAYS will be, my true drug of choice, and once I start I can not stop, It is a horrible existence, I want to stop ( not even buzzed after first one or two and I just keep drinking!! So I attend AA meetings, and have not had a drink in 10 years, and 20 years sober before Cancer. So Total abstinence to my DOC is all that saves me, and gives me a chance at a normal life. I do not get this feeling from opiates ( Denial???????? I don't know) I never run out of my script, and always am trying to tapper to a weaker opiate " why I am on Hydrocodin" and take less.
Be VERY CAREFUL, Sounds to me that your Drug of Choice is opiates??????? only you can answer that. But please don't be me and have a whole long list of things I did not do so I was NOT an Alcoholic!! All bullshit, how it had me FEEL is why I AM an Alcoholic and will always be one.
'Womb to Tomb" as my spocer says, all I get to do is choice how I live my life in between the two.
All is well - ICE

First of all, welcome to Bluelight @medicationmeditation!

You sound like me, in a way. I always tell my therapist i "dabble", but in fact, i am a straight up addict.

I would suggest you don't indulge in your addiction and see if it's a real thing or not. Just halt it where it is, nip it in the bud.

You have tried it, you know it's euphoric, the problem is you haven't seen the negative effects of addiction yet.

So let us tell you.. it isn't so hot.

Shame and guilt? I'm probably not the best person to ask, but i'll give it a shot. The way i deal with such feelings is honestly just playing the tape over and over. Remembering those negative feelings. Sucks, doesn't it? Try to remember the bad stuff and not the good stuff. The good stuff can come naturally from things like a cool job, a nice relationship, etc. It is totally do-able.

Good luck.

As a long term hard drug addict I definitely recognise something in your mindset.

Basically the only tool I ever used to deal with my shame was to use more drugs, which is the same thing everyone does. Feel shit about the fact you've ruined your life because you're addicted to heroin? No problem just get enough mo ey for a few extra bags and forget yourself.

No drugs aren't inherently bad, and honestly I think the word addict is stained with irreperable stigma and hatred... What matters here is that you know the risk. You enjoy the substance, because, well.... It's very enjoyable. And each time you use it, it will be enjoyable... that's the kicker! It's all better than good, until you wake up and it's not. I have never been dependent on opioids, but have been on meth. I had to use just to appear normal and meet my old baseline, with nothing enjoyable about the horrible effects on my health. It took more stregnth than I even knew I had to break that cycle, and I hope that my input helps you keep the actual risk in mind. Dependency will rob you in ways that you won't recognize, until there's nothing left to take and hope can't be seen. Please be safe <3

Forget shame.
You aren’t kidding yourself about the position you are in, you’re a realist.
I’d advise talking about it openly with your loved ones if it’s safe to do so though.
Hiding and sneaking will set you on a path that can only lead to more self loathing and you’ll never dig your way out of that as it’s self perpetuating.

Hello. I apologize if this is not the right place, I'm new.
Sorry if this is a rant. I just wish I could talk to someone about this stuff, but no one I personally know could listen and understand.

Three years ago I had a surgery and was introduced to prescription painkillers. Post-recovery I used some leftover pills recreationally, twice. I definitely fell in love with them and the experience they offered - if you know, you know. However, I then felt morally wrong about it, as I've always been a do-no-wrong kind of person, and flushed the rest.
Of course, after thinking about it and questioning my moral compass a bit, I really regretted wasting them like that. Who knew you could get so attached from a few low dose experiences? I spent the next year trying to learn how to obtain more, unsuccessfully. I was both terrified of what I was doing, and fascinated, fixed on my desire. It was like I became two people: one fueled by beliefs in right vs wrong, the other fueled by an unquenchable hunger. I found myself in a really dark place, and I was in it alone. You can't tell these things to the people you care about.
I sorted out a new, I guess, identity or mindset, in the next few months. After becoming more knowledgeable about drugs thanks to sites like Bluelight, I accepted myself and learned to find new passions in areas like biochemistry, however my religious beliefs really took a hit. The hunger still lived, but had been tamed. I thought.

So someone I was living with had a minor surgery and received pain medication that they chose not to use. That desire came back real quick, real strong. I hadn't even touched it in a year, so I don't know what was going on in my brain, but I had an opportunity that I could not let pass. They discarded the medication, and I quickly, quietly moved it to my personal possession. Wow, I felt like the dirt on my shoe doing that but I didn't care. With the rest of that bottle, I probably got 3-4 new, nice experiences. I spanned it out over months, knowing the risks and trying to not build tolerance or addiction.

But that's the thing: if I will seize any opportunity to casually use this stuff, even if infrequent, am I an addict?
I'm not physically dependent. I rarely use it. Yet, I know that I will probably have an affinity towards it for the rest of my life. I don't know how many risks I would take to reobtain it in the future, and frankly that aspect of myself scares me.
I can't talk to anyone about it, they would react negatively. But sometimes I wish I could. I have this everlasting itch that continuously bothers me; it nags me to pursue it, and continuously makes me feel like a horrible person because of it. I've controlled it so far, but it's probably one of my deepest problems. It's a secret part of me that lingers constantly but must be kept hidden from everyone. Sometimes that just feels like a burden, but I know I should keep my mouth shut about this stuff.

So there's my rant. How do you guys deal with feelings of shame, desire, and stuff like that? Especially if you keep your drug use - casual or frequent - to yourself. Sometimes it feels mentally exhausting and I just want to have someone there to support me, but sharing this kind of stuff will probably just push people away. How do you all cope?
I really get this, in hospital after severe trauma I was given morphine IV with a button I could press. I already had a like for codeine and DHC, but no stronger opiate. I unfortunatly got access to the dark web, ended up with a heroin addiction before not too long, just because I had 'access' and it was easy. Like someone else said, opiate timebomb waiting to go off

As a long term hard drug addict I definitely recognise something in your mindset.

Basically the only tool I ever used to deal with my shame was to use more drugs, which is the same thing everyone does. Feel shit about the fact you've ruined your life because you're addicted to heroin? No problem just get enough mo ey for a few extra bags and forget yourself.
That rings true for me too.

dude i literally can not have opiods around or i will take them, whether or not that is a good or bad thing isn't really what matters, what matters is that the world that i live in is structured in such a way that if i become dependent on these things without a legitimate prescribed source, i will likely do myself a disservice to my quality of life and spend a lot of money i shouldn't in the pursuit of what should be a rather cheap and morally irrelevant vice.