• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

A little worried, advice welcome...

Allsmiles

Greenlighter
Ok, I have been taking pain meds for over 20 years. Ive mostly stuck to hydrocodone however I have been taking 30mg oxycodone one or two at a time for the last two weeks due to a spinal injury but Ive not taken more than 3 in one day. My tolerance to opiates is pretty decent. I have to take 50 mg of hydrocodone at a time which I hate. Anyway my dr. Prescribed 100mg/72 hr fentanyl transdermal system (not gel). I have had fentanyl through iv at the hospital but this is my first time attempting it on my own without dr. supervision. Anyway I waited until I was in excruciating pain before putting it on (rookie mistake..I know) so a guy I work with who has used them for years told me to cut a 3rd of it off and place it under my tongue to get some relief now while I give the patch 8hrs to start working. I was in so much pain that I cut a 3rd off after putting the patch on 5 mins before placed it under my tongue and left the remaining 2/3rds on the patch on without really looking anything up. So now I'm reading threads from here and Im a bit worried. I feel ok. Its been about 30 mins since I put the patch on and Ive had the strip I cut off (1/3rd of the patch) under my tongue about the same amount of time. My tongue is numb and I do feel relief and a little bit of a high. My question is what should I be looking for as far as "danger signs" as time goes by and the patch begins to work? My fear is mostly due to the fact that I'm alone. I normally would never do anything that would put me at risk like this however I was in so much pain in that moment I was just desperate and not thinking I just wanted the pain to go away. I've never used IV opiates or smoked anything however I do have a pretty high tolerance when it comes to orally taking opiates. I was a pharmacy manager for years however Fentanyl patches were not thing then at least not as popular as they are now. I am aware of the signs of overdose, however I've already made this stupid decision so right now I'm just looking for help. So this being my first post on this site and the fact that I don't have friends or family at all that I can call and tell them what's going on, if anyone could please give me advice on this situation because I am concerned after reading all of the dangerous and how quick it can happen. Thank you in advance.

If you are starting to feel it you should probably take the patch out of your mouth at least. Im sorry you’re in pain, just be sure to take care with fentanyl.

You you have 20 years of tolerance to help you out, try to call someone to check up on you. I don’t know the exact potentency of fentanyl compared to other opiates but if you google “opiate conversion chart” you can get a translation from the tolerance you had from one opiate to another.

Obviously extreme sedation is a warning sign, maybe keep track of your heart rate and try to remain alert and if you feel you are in legitimate danger don’t hesitate to call emergency services.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about fentanyl patches specifically so i couldn’t tell you how fast the patch is releasing when cut up.

Last edited:
I would try your best to call a friend and be under the watch of someone, and not to alarm you any more than I know that you already are, but an opioid od could just creep up on you, you won’t even know it and then you’re out. Try your best to call a friend and be around someone so they can monitor you.

you should be fine in my opinion , but BL doesn't like these sort of answers to be given out, so ill just say , follow the doctors instructions in the future

OP, I'm sorry that I didn't make it here earlier, but I have a some anecdotal advice that might actually put you at ease a little bit. Well, as you're probably aware, Fentanyl is actually distributed in preparations meant for buccal (inside the mouth) administration and sublingual (under the tongue) administration.

Funny enough, if you do some reading on the Fentanyl "lollipop", you'll find that it's used by the military these days for acute pain relief. One of the means of administration is by taking the "lollipop" and taping it to the finger of the wounder soldier, inserting the "lollipop" into their mouth against their cheek. The aim is that the soldier will hold the lollipop in place against his cheek until he or she has received enough medication and if they receive too much medication, they will typically begin to lose consciousness, at which point the "lollipop" will fall from their mouth, as it is taped to their finger, if that makes sense.

So, you're not the first person to use Buccal Fentanyl, but you are doing the right thing in being very cautious with your use. At any rate, I would definitely remove the Fentanyl from your mouth as soon as you have reached the level of analgesia required. The route of administration should produce effects pretty rapidly, like in just a few minutes, so if you remove the Fentanyl, most of the dose will already have been absorbed.

If this doesn't make sense or you have any questions, you know where to find us!