• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

A Lamentation at the Gradual Draining of Imagination

ForcePower8

Greenlighter
Hello all, I wanted to share some thoughts I've been having lately and see if anyone else reciprocates my feelings. I've noticed (as have most people I think) that over time the quality of my imagination deteriorates as I grow older and leave childhood behind. I'm sure everyone is aware of this phenomenon within their own mind as they themselves grow older. I, however, do not know how similar others' experiences are to mine for a variety a reasons, but the primary one would probably be that I have Asperger's Syndrome, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to understand other people's viewpoints.

When I was a child my imagination was incredible. Adults and fellow children alike would always complement me for it, so much in fact that I became extremely accustomed to being viewed as the "highly imaginative" guy. This probably didn't help foster a sense of humility in me, especially if you are to take in to account the narcissism we aspies appear to display, but it at least gave me a sense of purpose and identity. Compounded by my natural lack of sociability, I would often be off, separate from the other kids, lost in my own little world. To maybe give you the best picture of what I mean by "my own world", I think I must say that, in complete honesty and without any exaggeration, the imaginary world that my mind created was more real to me than the actual physical world around me. From pre-school to about fourth grade it was almost as if the imaginary realm was "superimposed" on reality in a very literal sense, covering up what was actually there and replacing it with the fantastical. The best example of this I can think of is how when I was young I would lay awake in bed at night, staring at the ceiling. My bed would always be surrounded buy a force field bubble structure and the air outside would be swarming with dozens of faint, swimming cartoon critters. They were faint and could only be seen in the dark, but they were as real as you or me. They were there.

During the day the phenomenon of the imaginary replacing reality continued, but more in a "mind's eye" way than the more literal presence of my bedroom critters. Despite this, I was so focused on this level of my perception that it took the forefront of my attention rather than my real, immediate surroundings. The personality's of the imaginary people and places were so interesting that I found "real" people to be rather dull in comparison and avoided socializing with them. This continued up until I was about ten before I shifted more into a reality-based way of living. Now, as a college freshman, my AS is so mild that most people are surprised when and if I tell them. The only remaining symptom seems to be that my general lack of desire to socialize has persisted, but for different reasons. I probably still have an above average imagination for my age, and I can create cool short stories and fiction pieces, but it is nothing in comparison to the reality-warping machine that it used to be.

Sometimes now when I look back I feel neutered in comparison to my old self's abilities. I yearn to return to when I could live in this state, and when I remember the bliss that accompanied it I lament the fact that it is gone. My questions are as follows: how many others' minds were like this when they were young? Does every child have this ability, or did I just get lucky? And if not everyone had it, could it be related to the Asperger's syndrome in any way? Some people seem to believe that AS actually REDUCES your ability to imagine, which I can't for the life of me understand. If it is related to AS, are there any other aspies on here who can relate? The final and most important question is whether or not I can reclaim this ability and how. The dreadful rot of ennui has plagued me for awhile now, and this ability would prove super useful in reclaiming some enjoyment of life. I've had suspicions that perhaps some psychedelics aid in inducing this effect in the short-term, as a lot of psychedelic art reminds me of the mindset I was in as a kid, but I would also like to look into more permanent, easy to obtain, and well... legal, methods as well.

So sorry for the really long post :/. I know I must have come off as really narcissistic talking about myself so much, but the truth is I'm really interested in hearing your experiences as well and just wanted to explain adequately what I meant. Thank you in advance for reading and all the replies you might give! :)

tl;dr: How to recapture the wonderfully enchanting state of an unrestrained child-like imagination and your experiences with it?

Because you were living more through your higher self then as we all do when our life begins.

Everyone experiences themselves as more high-consciousness in childhood. It slowly changes over time as we become more identified with the ego/lower self. Then we need to work to regain it again and become enlightened or "become again like little children".

I've noticed the same thing. Up until my early twenties it would be less than 30 seconds between when I lay back on the pillow and when I would begin to see my minds eye/imagination come forward, and it was very vivid and sharp. These days in my late twenties it rarely happens at all, or perhaps I'm too generally exhausted that I fall asleep long before I begin to see my imagination come forward. As for reasons behind it I don't know.

I don't think it's healthy to be so preoccupied with your imagination though unless you're actually putting it into productive service of the waking world.. I mean you're not a child anymore, imaginary critters and imaginative scenarios don't actually do anything for you. You have duties to attend to in the physical world, not the imaginary one.

I don't think it's healthy to be so preoccupied with your imagination though unless you're actually putting it into productive service of the waking world.. I mean you're not a child anymore, imaginary critters and imaginative scenarios don't actually do anything for you. You have duties to attend to in the physical world, not the imaginary one.

A fair point, but I think the grandiosity of my post may have falsely conveyed that I'm trying to escape reality or can't differentiate between reality and fantasy. I know what's real and that it absolutely takes precedence over fantasy, and don't remember having a problem with the two conflicting in the past (though this may be because I was younger and had less responsibilities). I think my sentiment generally lies in the area of wanting to rekindle what I view as a former strength or identifying feature of myself. And as for the practical use of it, I do want to be an author and am currently writing a novel as well as studying video game design as an academic field, so creativity would be pretty important to both of those. I can assure you that I'm in good mental health and I apologize if my post inaccurately painted me as someone disillusioned or fleeing from the real world. That was not my intent.

I was the same way as a kid, totally immersed in my own world. All through my late teens and twenties I felt like I was losing touch with that inner child. My imagination receded in many ways. Now in my thirties I am finding myself reconnecting with that state. It's not as powerful - I don't think it's possible to actually recreate childhood, as a kid you don't yet have all of your conceptual frameworks in place yet so your experience is much more raw - but I am feeling increasingly stronger in my power of creation. Of course I have lived my life with the belief that a childlike mental state is a good thing, so I've been open to it and worked towards it. It would be easy to continue going down the path of growing farther and farther away from that state as well. it definitely takes mindfulness and effort as you get older. But I am convinced it's one of the healthiest things you can do, to try to always view the world/life with a fresh perspective, as unattached to previous experience as is practical.

I'm glad to hear that you've found it possible to reconnect with your creative side Xorkoth! For me as well it certainly seems like a skill that should be reclaimed. If you don't mind me asking though, what specific methods did you use to aid you in your endeavor? I know the best path probably differs between individuals, but hearing from your experience might give me a much needed template.

Well, it was facilitated in part by psychedelics. I have found that occasional tripping helps ME to remain focused on what is important in life and makes it easier to see the universe for the mind-blowingly magnificent thing it is. Psychedelics really work for my personality and brain, so they may or may not be an option for you. But truly, they've just been a tool for me to shift my viewpoint. On a daily basis, what I do is a few things:

1 - I always attempt to stay focused on putting my greatest amount of effort into something I am passionate about. For me, this is art, specifically music. I write, sometimes paint, and I play in a band where I have a lot of creative influence and freedom. Working on this gives me a feeling of purpose and satisfaction that greatly enhances my quality of life. This in turn allows me to more easily focus on the good parts of life, which increases my inspiration, which keeps my creativity flowing.

2 - I attempt to remain as conscious as possible of my own ego processes. Identifying the reason I am feeling a given way allows me to move past the feelings that are negative by letting me rise up to the level of observer and experience the emotion as a transitory and physical thing, the result of a neurochemical process. When I am feeling negative feelings, I consciously practice identifying it and dismissing it. With practice you can get pretty good at this. Obviously there are times I fail, but I am getting better and better at it.

3 - I put myself into situations that require imagination and inspiration. Music, again, does this for me more than anything. Imagination, like anything, can be exercised. The more you use it, the more you'll be able to use it. If you stop using it, it will wither. But it's all temporary.

4 - I try to be conscious of my inner dialogue and follow it purposely, kind of an exercise as well.

5 - I consciously try to laugh and be silly on a daily basis. It helps me to feel the inner child. I think incorporating your inner child into your adult self is extremely important. It helps you to see the world with as few preconceptions as possible, and keeps things fresh and exciting and fun.

6 - I surround myself with people who make me feel good

Honestly, a lot of it comes, for me, from simply being fully satisfied with my life. If there are things holding you back from a greater level of fulfillment in life, you should identify those things and work to change them. Through my whole twenties, I was in a destructive relationship/marriage, and I was addicted to opiates, partly as a reaction to my relationship. These factors, especially over the course of 10 years, really damaged my ability to feel good about anything tremendously. What really started the process of renewal for me was ending the relationship, followed by getting off opiates. Then I found that I was happy with all the aspects of my life and self, and the rest started to fall into place, aided by a particular trip where some of the steps above occurred to me to start doing.

I find that, when I'm more happy, and my life feels right, the inspiration flows strongly.

Well, it was facilitated in part by psychedelics. I have found that occasional tripping helps ME to remain focused on what is important in life and makes it easier to see the universe for the mind-blowingly magnificent thing it is. Psychedelics really work for my personality and brain, so they may or may not be an option for you. But truly, they've just been a tool for me to shift my viewpoint. On a daily basis, what I do is a few things:

1 - I always attempt to stay focused on putting my greatest amount of effort into something I am passionate about. For me, this is art, specifically music. I write, sometimes paint, and I play in a band where I have a lot of creative influence and freedom. Working on this gives me a feeling of purpose and satisfaction that greatly enhances my quality of life. This in turn allows me to more easily focus on the good parts of life, which increases my inspiration, which keeps my creativity flowing.

2 - I attempt to remain as conscious as possible of my own ego processes. Identifying the reason I am feeling a given way allows me to move past the feelings that are negative by letting me rise up to the level of observer and experience the emotion as a transitory and physical thing, the result of a neurochemical process. When I am feeling negative feelings, I consciously practice identifying it and dismissing it. With practice you can get pretty good at this. Obviously there are times I fail, but I am getting better and better at it.

3 - I put myself into situations that require imagination and inspiration. Music, again, does this for me more than anything. Imagination, like anything, can be exercised. The more you use it, the more you'll be able to use it. If you stop using it, it will wither. But it's all temporary.

4 - I try to be conscious of my inner dialogue and follow it purposely, kind of an exercise as well.

5 - I consciously try to laugh and be silly on a daily basis. It helps me to feel the inner child. I think incorporating your inner child into your adult self is extremely important. It helps you to see the world with as few preconceptions as possible, and keeps things fresh and exciting and fun.

6 - I surround myself with people who make me feel good

Honestly, a lot of it comes, for me, from simply being fully satisfied with my life. If there are things holding you back from a greater level of fulfillment in life, you should identify those things and work to change them. Through my whole twenties, I was in a destructive relationship/marriage, and I was addicted to opiates, partly as a reaction to my relationship. These factors, especially over the course of 10 years, really damaged my ability to feel good about anything tremendously. What really started the process of renewal for me was ending the relationship, followed by getting off opiates. Then I found that I was happy with all the aspects of my life and self, and the rest started to fall into place, aided by a particular trip where some of the steps above occurred to me to start doing.

I find that, when I'm more happy, and my life feels right, the inspiration flows strongly.

Awesome! Thank you for your very in depth answer! I will definitely be mindful and try to apply some of these techniques to my own life as well. :)