• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

A brief comment(s( on living in a legal jurisdiction for 3.6 years

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
This is in 🇨🇦 Canada. Weed became legal countrywide on October 17, 2018, We live in a left/slightly left of centre liberal democracy and are taxed very highly.

Legality was absolute shit at first. Cost, quality, variety and actual accessibility was poor than the black market. I bought an ounce at midnight on legality day that cost me $384, taxes all in and regular free city delivery. Later that morning I went to stand in line at a wee store at 6:30 am. As expected there were several people in line in front of me, People were passing around vape carts and there was absolutely a sense of joy and optimism. And then people started arriving at. a regular pace, and shortly after the media started arriving. Police came with 2 cruisers and had officers monitoring rough perimeter around the weed store mini-block.

Got inside, by which time the crowd was a few hundred in size, Police and staff were limiting the number of people to 50 inside the store at once. And the crowds moved slowly. People were all asking questions of the bud tender at every checkout, which was really just a long counter with multiple bud tenders behind. I asked for the strongest Sativa over 20% THC. Nope. Strongest Indica over 20%? Nope. I ended up with a Leaf by Snoops @ 17-19% THC. Got a free $20 doughnut/coffee card for Tim Hortons by one of the corporate staff upon leaving. They were handing them out for one hour or so.

Both weeds that I bought that day were ok. Better than the worst black market I've bought but lesser in quality than the best BM I've had.

Then, a lot of companies started 'coming online' first at a drip and then a flood. A lot more weed was in the stores. But still shitty, dry, low variety and more expensive.At the retail level prices started declining, also slowly at first. BM replied by lowering prices. The Cannabis 2.0 (carts, concentrates, edibles and everything else other than flower)became legal. Again, slow rollout of products followed by a response by the BM lowering these prices in new product areas.

The actual production companies have and are failing with consolidation of companies beginning.Micro producers are releasing some stunning product.

Currently legal ounce as low as $70 (a bit lower on sales days), Legal carts are as low5

I gotta believe that if Canada can get to this state of being less than 5 years after legalization, any country can (for nation wide legalization). However I do perceive several American states as being far more advance than Canada Cannabis-wise.

The new Cannabis goodies that the legal market has given me: water soluble THC drops. This stuff hits *quick*, is re-doseable and lasts 90 minutes to 270 minutes. Sustained release tablets (say 1mg/hour for 10 hours) and Keurig K-cups are another couple of legal goodies.

Tom

(special bonus legal novelty is that it is legal to mail weed and fly/travel with it)

Last edited:
Well, since « democracy » was mentioned lets remember the context:

Federal-Health-Minister-Jane-Philpott-UNGASS-2016.gif

UNGA$$ 2016 - Jane Philpott above, Justin Trudeau below.

Captain_Canuck_2016-04-21_400x300.png

Which didn't reflect equally on the provinces and territories, to say the least.

For example in Québec our state MONOPOLY is actually a "filliale" of the alcohol state MONOPOLY, itself at the service of our alcohol indu$try while the law of liberal Lucie Charlebois went in force with ALL political parties unaninous in our parliament. Such bigot legislation with Cut 'n Paste items of the 2014 FCTC/COP6 (held behind closed doors in Moscow/Russia...) in it caused some major injustices which impact youth negatively both in terms of nicotine and cannabis, a legally-vulnerable group in society that got treated like minors up to the age of 21 - thanks to our present prime minister François Legault, now in his 2nd mandate...

Talking about the power of monopolies & friend$, it turns out a former S.A.Q. high-profile insider just caused the 'Péter la Baloune' documentary (by Hugo Meunier) to be recently removed from Radio-Canada's digital platform for the next 5 years and the successive forms of political abuses don't end there. But...

Yet, what really matters about cannabis anyway??

Back-to-the-basics-The-Shortest-Path-of-Lesser-Transformation-480x360.png

Microscopes are quite affordable these days. One sample is « legal », the other is not... Gue$$ whi¢h i$ whi¢h today!

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Last edited:
@Egzoset With the expansion of legality (let's say the number of retail outlets in all province/territories in total. Even though they are not operating under the same rules/restrictions. I draw 2 assumptions (at least()

1. The greater the number of retail outlets, the greater the number of people and companies that will break the rules and cheat in every possible way (false flower analysis including leaving out pesticide, other chemicals that are banned, changing pesticides levels, falsifying production dates, building false walls to increase beyond allowed production levels and so on.One of the most insulting to the consumer is the 'pay to play' where products bribe the stores to prominently display a product.

2. The consolidation of retail stores. I don't like it. It's evil. Period.

I consider a big success to be that there are 0 people in Canada who are at risk of legal action agains them solely from personal possession. That is about 7-7.5 million less than before Trudeau/Liberals took action on Cannabis. It is a flawed, imperfect legality.

Would like to see amendments to the Cannabis act guaranteeing minimum rights/standards with regard to personal cultivation (everywhere at least 4 plants), edible levels 10 mg with at least 100mg total per container, vapes/concentrates/pre-rolls. If Health Canada approves of a product, it should be allowed everywhere

Tom

Salutations Thomas Davie,

Actually i'm not even totally confident a complete open reply is welcome, so lets focus on the announced title and wishes of the OP - which is YOU, a moderator anyway.

By the way, have you noticed all things about cannabis seem required to revolve around individuals vs collectives? For example Cannada sacrificing Québec, or Norml being on one side of the mirror and me playing Alice on the opposite side, etc... IMHO Trudeau's plan worked perfectly, while the rest you've just evoked depends on who is affected and where.

But i read this got to be « brief » and focussed on « legal jurisdictions », with a few remarks suggesting « every possible » ways to « cheat », euh... And/or the « ZERO » canuck citizens group provincially targetted over « personal possession » (...), though actually the correct 2015 pre-electoral term used to be « INCIDENTAL », lasted for about 2 years then Trudeau finally translated it correctly for Québekers as "possession simple". So much for "legal"!

What else? Perhaps the notion(s) of strength and potency, so far still not accounting for elementary concepts as molecule-specific "posology" - not to mention part of us don't have access to the "medical" route which is 1-of-2 options in our 2-speed system (e.g. either we're a "deviant risk" using « stupéfiant$ » or simply "sick" mentally/physically and hence rewarded with a privilege$ ¢ard, in exchange of a signature that takes us back to the Confédération of 1867 and its few loopholes. Including the lost cause « Free-the-Beer » i might add.

But you want it brief and the size of my reply would explose if i dared elaborate on how i disagree or expect nuances.

About "legality" and "everywhere", i vaguely remember our constitutional chart(s) of right(s) still include(s) association + expression, yet i wonder if a fan of the Norml movement as yourself got echoes from our 1st planned "4-20" event being cancelled in 2022, forcing us all to live in permanent clandestinity while police budgets continue to grow.

Anyone heard of the « CanFest Québec & After-Party » by CanEmpire? With support from the Bloc Pot/
Parti Marijuana Québec...

Well, about a year ago an event scheduled to take place at 'Complexe Capitale Hélicoptère' (near the Québec city airport) got cancelled by our present government (MSSS):

Le salon de cannabis CanFest forcé d'annuler suite à des menaces du Ministère de la Santé (2022-May-20)​
Le MSSS frappe encore et cette fois-ci force l’annulation de l’évènement CANFEST de Québec! (2022-May-20)​
Le premier salon du cannabis mis en échec par le ministère de la Santé (2022-May-21)​

No english versions provided, sorry...

While i'm at it i must also correct a previous statement involving the plaintif Hubert Sacy who got 'Péter la baloune' effectively censored: he's been with "Éduc Alcool", not the SAQ, and was there between 1990 to 2021. In addition, it wasn't the 1st time Radio-Canada dealt with Éduc'alcool as their ombudsman in 2018 also received a complaint serving ties with the alcohol industry... My guess is that was over "image" as well.

It's all "legal", apparently.

☮️

I apologizefor not being current on Quebec laws/norms or customs re: Cannabis. I wanted to summarize as less people getting arrested (sure, some still are sadly), greater availability of Cannabis and lowering prices as a function or reflection of market forces.

I’m aware that vape cartridges are illegal/disallowed and drinks/edibles are restricted to 5mg per. Also no home growing. That is my total Quebec Cannabis knowledge excepting the federal rules under which Quebec Cannabis falls.

My own views aim towards ‘the least harm done’ model. Sure, some harm still is done, but overall harm is reduced. Not enough companies post links to analytical chemical results - but that isn’t legally mandated.

Tom

I apologize for not being current on Québec...

Please don't, from a moderator that's almost frightening!!

I wanted to summarize...

Great! Lets begin with the Task Force report of August 24th 2016, when Québec's specific sub-culture got simply ignored to favour a minority of "medical" users already registered after handing out their civic names & addresses anyway, e.g. via a legal signed document stating these people are either sick and/or a "deviant risk" all year long in exchange for access to the privileged branch of a 2-speed system, where CBD is over-billed/over-taxed the same as THC if not more! Etc., etc...

Before « légaleezation » i was lucky to document the "real deal" under a microscope, not anymore. Even home-grows serving as phyto-therapy where the company of animals has been banned, confirmed by the Supreme Court because it's POLITICAL above all else...

That is my total Quebec Cannabis knowledge...

Please don't forget to mention how repulsive our edibles actually are, possibly inspired by our SAQ (alcohol) indu$try since the SQdC is only a "filliale" of it... But i keep repeating myself i guess. So who's in charge in your province anyway? Are they powerful enough to censor a film criticizing the alcohol banalizing culture? In The Name Of Children...

My own views aim towards ‘the least harm done’ model....

My battle as well, but only as an ordinary citizen and former "hascheesh" smoker now converted into vaporism. Actually that's partly why i feel so infuriated knowing the worse poison of all is MONEY, the one main incentive for wax pen in teenager environments some 4+ years after « légaleezation » exactly, although Justin promissed in 2015 it wasn't for that at all... aHummm!

Sure, some harm still is done, but overall harm is reduced.

I respectfully agree to disagree mister moderator.

🖖

When weed first became legal here in Canada i couldnt find any strains i wanted on the legal market so i still bought black market weed. However now i can find strains like Acapulco gold and ones like that though they are expensive as fuck. Wish i could find some THCV strains though

I can't speak on y'alls canadian shit you got going on. I wish I could but I just can't.

What I CAN say is, I'm more impressed by black market flower than I am legal flower. On the other hand, I'm way more inclined to buy oils, extracts, hash and kief from an actual store than I am to buy it from LaQwan down the street.

Reliable sourcing of a given genetic ain't part of my local deal as i choose only what's best affordable and this doesn't account for the consumer's own needs. Perhaps it's available via the "medical" branch but i never agreed to be part of a database to be later "leaked"...

Personally my cardinal rule is to « Follow the Shortest Path of Lesser Transformation », which implicitly discards extensively-processed products (and 3rd-parties ideally). Yet i've "sampled" hascheesh and kief a long while ago, the drinks too. It all sucks and that's quite understandable with the alcohol industry put in charge by a succession of unanimously bigot parliaments.

And talking about power, i've just posted this fresh-new thread as a complement of reply:

This WAR never ends. (2023-Jun-10)​

The "expert$"/"$pe¢iali$t$" club likes to argue repeatedly there's never enough "research" on cannabis and when there is it's only to extend the denial right into the « légaleezation » age. THAT is the Canada i live in, especially in my sacrificed province when Health Canada won't block research...

☮️

I'm jealous of Canada In their cannabis measures. I live in ny where recreational roll out has been slower than a snail's pace, everything is currently fucked, and their med program is way behind.

As a med patient, we weren't allowed whole flower until 2020. Prices are absurd rn (8ths 35-50, ounces 200 at the cheapest). Product is sub standard usually. However lately, quality has started to skyrocket. It's just so prohibitively expensive. Carts run 35 a half/60 a full, edibles range alot (although they're amazing. Tinctures, drink additives, lozenges, chewable tablets, capsules, etc)

With rec stores now open medical is starting to drop their prices, but compared to the existing black market legacy producers......untouchable

I have only had bad experiences with the legal weed. I still use my same guy, it's cheaper and better