• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

7 years of tramadol

Arkdivider

Greenlighter
I have been taking tramadol for close to 7 years now. I am taking 150mg a day. Is there an easy way to detox from this nasty drug? I keep getting weird brain zaps when i take less than 150mg. I have tried dozens of times to quit without success. I do have chronic pain conditions including crohns and colitis, so i am wondering if maybe i should continue taking this drug. Its just that i cannot seem to skip a day or two without feeling sick. Wish i did not have to take it every single day.

Hi, Welcome to Bluelight ! !

You are in the right place for sure. I am going to move your post to Basic Drug Discussion or Other Drugs in hopes of more support. :) We have a Chronic Pain MEGA Thread as well as some Tapering threads.

If I remember correctly Tramadol has antidepressant properties that work with serotonin and norephrinephrine. I personally used to have the brain zaps from SSRI reduction. Although, not with opiates alone.

I'm sorry you are in pain... There is a way to detox, yes.

Please feel free to ask me any questions any time.

:)

Last edited:
Easiest way would be a taper, slowly. But if you have chronic pain, and need them to keep that at bay, you can either suffer from the pain without them or keep taking them, OR try to get a stronger opioid, which personally I wouldnt do unless I wanted to get high off them because in the long run a stronger pill would just be worse. Either slow taper and face the pain without them or keep taking opioids

Or try to find a natural source to help the pain and ur conditions

Have you looked into kratom or Lyrica? I dont know what type of pain you have or how severe it is which will determine if these will work to relieve the pain. Tramadol dosent relieve my pain, just slightly.

This is the BEST WAY TO GET RID OF THE ANTIDEPRESSANT WITHDRAWAL NO QUESTION:

1.) First, start to slowly cut back on your dosage as much as possible.

2.) Then take PROZAC. Prozac is commonly used to get off other antidepressant, and stop the WD cold in its tracks. Why? Because the half-life of Prozac is about 7 days. It's half life is 30+ days if taken regularly!! So it has a "built in tamper" due to its half life... The drug (Prozac) slowly, slowly leaves your body. Using Prozac really works and doctors prescribe it often for this purpose. Google it to learn more.

But the above ^^ will only help with the antidepressant withdrawal part... You will also go through opioid withdrawal, as tramadol is a mild opiod.. Things like Kratrom will help for the opiod withdrawal part, while Prozac will help the antidepressant withdrawal.

^After 7 years of Tramadol intake I would definitely not take Prozac (Fluoxetine) unless OP has been of the Trams for a good amount of time because the two drugs have dangerous interactions such as seizures etc.
Also I don't think that another antidepressant is a good solution for the antidepressant WD-part of Tramadol.

I would also taper as slow and as far as you can. Maybe even down to 12,5mg a day and then switch to Kratom for the time your brain chemistry adjusts to the missing antidepressant effects.
After that quit the Kratom with the help of Gabapentin/Lyrica and maybe a few Benzos.
But 7 years is a long time so better talk to your doctor and see what he/she suggests.

For some years ago I took tramadol daily for around 4 years. I quit cold turkey several times. The physical withdrawals symptoms was very unpleasant but I made it through 7 days and they started to disappear. The worst short-term problems was absolutely no sleep due to restless leg syndrome and brain zaps. However, this started getting better after 3-4 four weeks. 25-50 mg Quetiapin helped improve my sleep quite fast. The psychological withdrawal symptoms however, was much worse. In the first weeks, I was very deeply depressed. This got better with time as well, but not much, after several months I was still depressed which always caused me to relapse.

One time, I used Lyrica to stop. The physical and psychological side effects almost disappeared and made stopping much easier to handle. However, you might say that you just trade one addiction for another. But they can be useful. But, as a recent post of mine tells about, I experience some dangerous side effects from Lyrica and got a full-blown grand mal seizures from them back then and in the last days I have experienced muscle jerks and tics from a dose of 150 mg.

I would advise you to get help and not attempt to handle quitting Tramadol on your own. The risk of relapse might be smaller if you have help. I wish you luck.