• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

7 days on Librium - cold turkey or taper?

Mr.Anxious

Greenlighter
Hi Bluelighters,
Been lurking for over 5 years, first real question here.

I withdrew from Tramadol cold turkey and my doc prescribed Librium 10mg 3x per day to help with my anxiety. It wasn't enough so he told me to increase to 20 mg 3x per day.
i have now been taking librium for 7 days. The first day was 3x 10 mg, the next 6 days 3x 20 mg.

My doctor is a nice guy but not very knowledgeable about withdrawal IMO. My questions are:

1. Should I just stop taking the librium cold turkey today or tomorrow? Is a 7 day course short enough that I don't need to taper?

2. If that is a bad idea, what sort of taper would you recommend?

3. In either case should I use any sort of comfort meds to help? I have gabapentin and Lyrica on hand, also some diazepam and etizolam, hydroxyzine, medical marijuana and CBD.

I am also dependent on kratom but won't be tapering until the Librium is well behind me.

My goal is to not be dependent on benzos at all, and to get this all over with relatively quickly but also relatively painlessly. I really don't want any crippling anxiety or panic that would disrupt my life further. If tapering is the smart choice, I will try to convince him to prescribe enough for me to do that. Worst case if he just won't, I do have about 90 mg diazepam and could try to taper that.

Before this prescription, I used benzos sparingly. Probably an average of 2 mg etizolam and 1 mg xanax per week total, sometimes less. Ambien maybe once a week.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I've never had benzo withdrawals. Tramadol withdrawal kicked my ass frankly and I'm a little scared.

Last edited:
I can tell you from personal experience that you should be fine.

Many many years ago, well before my current adventures with benzos, I used Librium for the exact same timeframe, except mine was used for alcohol detox.

I was able stop cold turkey without a single problem whatsoever.

It really helped with the booze too.

IMO booze is the worst drug of them all, and it happens to be the only one I've been able to successfully quit with out one relapse. I'm very thankful, because that came closer to destroying my life than any other substance ever did.

Anyway now I'm rambling. To summarize you should be completely fine.

Thanks a ton. I'm going to try straight cold turkey. Worst case I'll take 10 mg here or there as needed. Appreciate the advice. Librium isn't a "fun" benzo but it definitely helped my withdrawal.