• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

60mg Adderall XR dangerous for a beginner?

Renegade87

Greenlighter
A few weeks ago I decided to try Adderall for the first time, after doing extensive research 40mg Adderall XR seemed good for the first time and it was, but it didn't really get me "high" just felt really focused.

I decided to try again yesterday and went with 60mg Adderall XR (x3 20mg XR's) I opened the capsules and chewed up the beads like the first time. But the effects were extremely strong this time, sweaty palms, dilated pupils, racing pulse, and what worried the most was my heart started to hurt and my breathing was becoming shallower. I tried my best to stay calm, drank a lot of fluids and took several showers throughout the night. It took a good 12 hours to wear off.

On top of that I'm a pretty big guy too (220lbs) I had no idea there would be such a dramatic difference between 40mg and 60mg. At one point I was debating on whether or not to check myself into the ER.

By chewing capsules you essentially made them IR and yes 60mg is a big dose for intolerant user. Probably won't kill you unless you have some underlying heart condition but definitely not recommended. Now I have done up to 200mg+ over the course of a day (keep in mind my tollerance is still realitively low) but I also throw in a small amount of benzos to eliminate peripheral effects because for me having your heart pounding and the shakes eliminates all the positives from experience. But then again I'm not a "tweaker" but nature.

*edit* I don't normally advocate the use of additional drugs in combination with anything but I do feel having benzodiazepines on hand for situations as the Op was in can be harm reduction as long as used in moderation and with out the addition of any other CNS depressants.

Last edited:
Take them as directed, xr is meant to be 2 doses, over 8 hours. I would look into ir, theyre better recreationally imo.

- Hopeless 7nos

Amphetamine dosage has nothing to do with weight from what I've been told but rather brain chemistry (so basically if you have add/adhd or not-I do and I'm small but 60mg xr isn't that much for me, but my adhd is bad). But yeah if you're using recreationally, ir is the way to go imo. I think 40mg xr releases 20mg at first and then the rest gradually, idk if that's totally accurate though. But from my personal experience, the xr is better for adhd treatmemt as opposed to recreation.

If only they made it in generic form! IR is great to get blasted from now and again but I'm more interested in therapeutic effects and performance enhancing. Sucks I don't have drug coverage. Generic IR cost me a fortune every month as is. Pharma companies are the most evil money hungry corporations in the world. Make big tobacco look moral.

Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately I'm still not back to normal and its been like 15 hours, have a weird headache (kinda feel like my brain is fried) and occasionally get like a pinch in my heart.

Dosage questions like these should be posted in BDD, I'm going to move the thread there.

Like Morphine-Dream said, it doesn't really have to do with weight or size, unfortunately for me. Strangely, based on the users I've known, the smaller guys could always handle drugs better.

Dangerous? Not unless you have a preexisting heart condition.
Wise? No, should start small and take more as your tolerance increases. And it will increase.

Unless you're just taking it for shits and giggles to get high.

^ Dangerous no? Even at that dose, it can cause a minor od, and cause cardiac issues.

- hopeless

The point of there being medications available as extended-release is so not too much of the drug gets absorbed at once.. leading to overdose.

Chewing the 60mg, as said above, became 60mg INSTANTLY released. I've only ever taken as much as 30mg IR without a tolerance. Your weight isn't much of a factor here, that's a decent amount of amphetamines circulating around in you.

I'd be more concerned about heart issues than getting high. If you enjoy Adderall, dose responsibly, don't chew the XR versions, maybe get your hands on some instant release.

If you still aren't fine after 24 hours (you were at 15 hours at 12:30 my time so you're pretty much at that 24 hour mark now) I'd seek a benzo or even Clonidine to decrease your heart rate and blood pressure, they may alleviate your symptoms.

That's really bizarre. I'm about 150 and the very first time I took Adderall I took 60mg xr. The reason for such extreme effects were probably because of the fact that you chewed all 60 mg worth. I would recommend just popping them regularly. You'll get a smoother high, and you wont get so amped up so fast.

Dangerous? Not unless you have a preexisting heart condition.
Wise? No, should start small and take more as your tolerance increases. And it will increase.

Unless you're just taking it for shits and giggles to get high.

I really fucked up, I think I have do have a underlying heart condition because I'm a half a pack / day smoker, after 24 hours passed yesterday I took 2 advil and 1 mg xanax which extremely helped.

Now today the headache is back, having chest pains from anxiety, and my heart is bothering my again

what should I do?

^ Dangerous no? Even at that dose, it can cause a minor od, and cause cardiac issues.

- hopeless
Like I said, if you have a heart condition. I know girls who take that dose regularly and are less than 110lbs. It's certainly not wise, and long term there will be consequences more than likely if continued. But ONE time taking 60mg isn't going to mess him up.

I really fucked up, I think I have do have a underlying heart condition because I'm a half a pack / day smoker, after 24 hours passed yesterday I took 2 advil and 1 mg xanax which extremely helped.

Now today the headache is back, having chest pains from anxiety, and my heart is bothering my again

what should I do?

Take a baby aspirin daily for a week or so, and lay off anything that stresses your cardio vascular system for a few days. After a few days maybe start going on some walks and easing into some cardio. Also possibly supplement with some COQ10 and omega 3 in the meantime?

This is just what I would do.

I use to have a pretty bad cocaine habit and would binge drink and do coke for days straight after a while I developed chest pains and a constant anxiety feeling that I couldn't shake. I cold turkey stopped everything and realized how stupid I was being, started working out and got healthy again. The pains went away all together.

But I assure you, if you're still typing and with us you are going to be fine. Just don't let this become a habit.

Edit: and lay off those cigs, terrible for you.

Like I said, if you have a heart condition. I know girls who take that dose regularly and are less than 110lbs. It's certainly not wise, and long term there will be consequences more than likely if continued. But ONE time taking 60mg isn't going to mess him up.

Take a baby aspirin daily for a week or so, and lay off anything that stresses your cardio vascular system for a few days. After a few days maybe start going on some walks and easing into some cardio. Also possibly supplement with some COQ10 and omega 3 in the meantime?

This is just what I would do.

I use to have a pretty bad cocaine habit and would binge drink and do coke for days straight after a while I developed chest pains and a constant anxiety feeling that I couldn't shake. I cold turkey stopped everything and realized how stupid I was being, started working out and got healthy again. The pains went away all together.

But I assure you, if you're still typing and with us you are going to be fine. Just don't let this become a habit.

Edit: and lay off those cigs, terrible for you.

Thanks for the tip

But yeah I basically plan on quitting uppers all together now, especially amphetamines. The only other time I got really sick like this was years ago when I decided to have a Molly binge one night. Have no desire to do MDMA or Adderall ever again, the negatives I've experienced far out weigh the positives for me.

I might still do a lil' coke every once in awhile for special occasions with friends but thats it.

I've been wanting to quit cigs for awhile now too but its extremely difficult, I tried smoking a cig today and my heart started to hurt again from it after a few drags so I put it out. Maybe this is actually a blessing in disguise lol