• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-methoxy-2-aminoindane

markosheehan

Bluelighter
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone has any information regarding the pharmacology of MEAI compared to MDMA and other aminoindane entactogens.
Is it less or more stimulating (effect on norepinephrine and dopamine) relative to other compounds
also does anyone have info on weather its a irreversible MAOI?

Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of 5-methoxy-2-aminoindane (MEAI): A new binge-mitigating agent.

5-Methoxy-2-aminoindane (MEAI) is a novel psychoactive aminoindane derivative, exerting euphoric, alcohol-like tipsy experience and reduced desire to consume alcoholic beverages. Our previous toxicological evaluation of MEAI in rats, clearly indicated MEAI's potential to be further evaluated as a promising binge mitigating agent due to its favorable safety profile. In the light of these observations, we have determined MEAI's pharmacokinetic (PK) profile in rats and evaluated in-vitro its pharmacodynamics (PD) profile. Following oral and intravenous administration of MEAI, two metabolites were identified, namely, N-acetyl-MEAI and 5-hydroxy-N-acetyl-AI, arising from N-acetylation and oxidative demethylation. The PK-parameters of MEAI and N-acetyl-MEAI were derived from single i.v. bolus (10 mg/kg) and single oral doses (10 and 90 mg/kg) of MEAI to rats. MEAI displayed extensive total clearance (2.8 L/h/kg) and a very short plasma and brain half-life (0.5-0.7 h). At 10 mg/kg, MEAI displayed low oral bioavailability (25%) and a plasma to brain ratio in the range of 3-5.5, with brain MEAI peak levels attained rapidly. Non-linear pharmacokinetic behavior was observed in the 90 mg/kg oral group, in which the bioavailability increased by 500%. The non-linear behavior was also evident by the significant increase in plasma half-life of MEAI and its metabolite, N-acetyl-MEAI. N-acetyl-MEAI levels in plasma and brain were about ten times lower than the parent compound, indicative of its minor contribution to MEAI's pharmacological effect. MEAI displayed weak to moderate ligand binding inhibition at the 5-HT2B receptor, while the remaining neurochemical targets were unaffected. Further studies, in non-rodent species are required, in-order to assess MEAI's PK and PD profile adequately. (Full Text here)

Afaik the aminoindanes are less stimulating than the amphetamines, MDAI was a relatively pure 5-HT releaser, though the study here says MEAI is selective to 5-HT2B...

weather its a irreversible MAOI?
Doesn't seem to be.

I took 3-methoxymethamphetamine once.
It was very weak.
3-MeO-4-Me-2-aminoindane is known to be active, however.

It's not stimulating at all

This is one of prof nutt's inventions designed to be a safer alternative to alcohol, was marketed in a drink as "PACE"

It's not stimulating at all

This is one of prof nutt's inventions designed to be a safer alternative to alcohol, was marketed in a drink as "PACE"
Do you have personal experience with this compound suggesting its not stimulating or are you assuming this from other related compounds?

Not personally but there were some reports that popped up, it was available briefly before the NPS ban in the UK and they all stated it to be a mediocre/weaker MDAI type high.

Plus I'm sure nutt published the binding affinities somewhere also.