• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc 40mg of zolpidem for a flight?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I'll be travelling from Dublin to Los Angeles in the summer and the flight is about 11 hours long. I don't wanna spend that long doing fuck all so I've asked my doctor and he says around the date of my trip he'll prescribe me 40mg of zolpidem to help me sleep. Is this a better alternative than quetiapine (Seroquel)? What about combining them both?

I've heard some nightmarish stories about zolpidem though most of them involve combining alcohol. I don't want to freak out on the plane or anything.

40mg is a fairly high dose without tolerance. I would personally avoid taking a Z-drug for the first time whilst on a flight, since their effects can vary drastically from person to person. For some people they work as expected, for others even at normal doses you can get the infamous blackouts/sleep-walking. I would at least take 20mg at home one night and see how it goes. But even then, in my experience drugs like zolpidem are good for falling asleep but not as good for staying asleep unless you have some sort of controlled release formulation.

A lot of people might disagree, but I'd say between the two, Seroquel would be the clear winner for me. At the expense of feeling out of it the next day, 100mg or so would have me out for the entire flight. Would strongly recommend against taking them together.

40 mgs of zolpidem? You'll have an adventure you'll never remember ;)

In therapeutic doses (5-10 mgs) it's an effective sleep aid, though, if your inability to sleep is based on anxiety. It calms your mind so your body can sleep. That was my experience as a patient, anyway...it's kind of a "controversial" drug, as you can find countless negative experiences from patients online, but I've never experienced issues with it, and actually it's a bit underrated IMHO

40 mg at once is a great way to pee yourself, blackout, and wakeup being questioned by police and alot of angry people because they had to stop the plane. Is this a typo? Are you supposed to space them out?

I would try 10mg at home and see how that feels. The blackout dry humping/car rides has never happened to me... Unless I forgot...

Personally I'd rather take a hypnotic benzo instead like Nitrazepam or Temazepam which would be way more effective, they'll last longer, and u won't get metal mouth! But chances r ull NEVER get any sort of benzo off any GP in the UK or ROI which is a real shame.

40 mg at once is a great way to pee yourself, blackout, and wakeup being questioned by police and alot of angry people because they had to stop the plane. Is this a typo? Are you supposed to space them out?

^This.

Even 10 mg is too much if there's alcohol served on board and you may decide to drink some in the disinhibited state caused by zolpidem (even if you didn't plan to).

Along with, resp depression.
Even 10 mg is too much if there's alcohol served on board and you may decide to drink some in the disinhibited state caused by zolpidem (even if you didn't plan to).