• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids 4+ years on 2400mgs daily, now down to 1800mg daily, am I in for a world of hurt when I quit?

MuertaMan

Ex-Bluelighter
Im scared, Ive had enough of the memory loss, stumbling around feeling confused all the time. I really want to see what life is life without it but Ive read so many horror stories. If I taper slow will I be ok or am I gonna hurt for awhile?

Are you referring to gabapentin? (The gabapentinoids tag here can refer to any gabapentinoids, like phenibut, pregabalin, etc.)

I personally found tapering gabapentin to be fairly painless. The problem I did have however was insomnia (likely from tapering too fast).

yeah I am sorry I don't know how I forgot to put that haha my bad. Thats good to hear I like it if I could keep it too every once in awhile so I could actually feel it again but I wanna stop daily use.

I currently take 3200mg of gabapentin daily, and as of two months ago, was prescribed an additional 450mg of pregabalin daily. I've taken both of these medications for 6 years daily at their full prescribed dose. I was able to taper and cut out the pregabalin fairly easier than I expected over a 6 month period. I still take all of the gabapentin and experience nothing but negative side effects at this point. It's almost completely taken away my ability to have a fluid face to face conversation without forgetting the topic for a few seconds or minutes until I remember it or have to be reminded.

It was initially great recreationally taking it every 3 days which quickly turned into taking it daily. I knew at this point the fun was over and I was just dependent on another medication. That was 5 years ago and despite it being fairly easy to taper to half of my dose, I still take all of it daily. It's more of a psychological addiction at higher doses where I don't really experience withdrawal until I try tapering below 1800mg. Im fully aware of how gabapentin is absorbed and metabolized, rendering higher doses (that are not taken staggered), much less effective.

Gabapentinoids have unfortunately become much more intertwined in my addiction than I had ever imagined. Also to add, I was taking phenibut in 3-4 gram doses on top of my prescribed medication the first two years. The withdrawal from phenibut daily was absolutely almost unbearable to the point I would've gladly taken a ct poppy tea withdrawal over it any day. Ive experienced pretty much every up and down of gabapentinoid use and withdrawal. It's nothing I would wish on anyone.

Sorry youve had such a rough time, makes me feel less scared though hearing you mention you can barely hold a conversation anymore from memory loss I have that too feels like what I imagine early dementia most feel like its shitty. I call it tip of the tongue syndrome always grasping for the right word. Have you noticed any vision problems, I dont know if I can blame it but I have lots of those squiggly floaters in my vision its really disconcerting. I always stagger mine as well and like you said its great in the beginning but over time its just another dependency, i hate having to stagger as well because it takes so much time and is annoying to have to do it that way but its the only way it works. It really was fun in the beginning though, I never knew you could get high from it I was Rx'd it because drs won't give me opiates for pain but I discovered pretty quickly that I liked it. Once its all staggered and you hit some good weed at 3 hours in music sounded great, like a mild roll in a way mixed with a bit of benzos but now nothing.

Speaking of vision problems…

I was recently diagnosed with glaucoma. I was told by my doctor that external and environmental factors play no role in the onset of glaucoma but the first thing that came to my mind was gabapentin.

I believe it plays a role affecting the blood flow to nerves in the eye.

I started noticing serious vision problems almost immediately after beginning; but I would get intense flashing fluid visuals, almost psychedelic at extreme doses of gabapentinoids. I wrote it off as just a side effect not causing lasting damage.

Fast forward today, I’m convinced gabapentin and others played a crucial role in the development of my vision issues.

I believe it’s caused dental issues as well (I’m on methadone also so it’s difficult to tell). I know there’s a lot of information starting to come out about gabapentin as of recent. It was overprescribed and prescribed off label as well for years.

The real question I have is whether or not these side effects are permanent damage or a temporary effect of daily dosing that will dissipate with discontinuation?

Withdrawal is inevitable at some point with me. I plan on tapering the gabapentin soon. Pregabalin withdrawal was bad but tolerable as I was still taking gabapentin. Phenibut was hell on earth. I imagine gabapentin to be on par with pregabalin withdrawal. Only time will tell for myself.

I think that kratom might alleviate gabapentinoid withdrawal. I was doing >1g of pregabalin for some weeks, before that 600mg/d for more than a year, and I just stopped and got no withdrawal. Either I'm having lucky genetics or it was the kratom I was taking.