4 months of DXM everyday DXM use = Huge withdrawal symptoms

callmefearone

Greenlighter
Hi bluelighters, this is my first post and i would like to share story of my cat whom used dxm for 4 months nearly everyday and stopped using it recently.

She experiences mild to strong paranoia when she is alone, also she still has mild hallucinations, that kind of hallucination when you see just flashes of objects for a milisecond and she is scared that it is permanent. She also get something like withdrawal attacks and she suddenly starts shaking and becomes nervous, depressed and irritable, it is like she became someone else and she is all depressed and angry, she starts telling me stuff like she hates me and told me to leave her alone because she is a psycho and she doesnt want to hurt me, and how she hates life and wants to die. Also she once slapped me and came out of my house and she fell on the ground and started crying, i lifted her from the ground and took her home and after a hour she told me that it was probably withdrawal symptom again. This was the most extreme case that happened to us. Those symptoms last normally for 30 minutes and then it slowly gets better. My cat is a very close person to me and it is very painful to see what it has done to her. She first used DXM recreationally but she found out that it works as an antidepressant and that is why she started to use it regularly, also she loved tripping but she became tolerant and started dosing more, up to 25 stopex 30mg tabs everyday (stopex contains only 30mg of dxm and some mannitol). I also used DXM for a month but only symptoms i experienced after ending the use was getting nervous for no reason and being irritable but this lasted just for a week. After all this stuff i dont even want to trip on dxm again. Has anyone here experienced similar stuff?

(Please do not use swim or cat or any other mythical being when posting on Bluelight.)

What made your friend use DXM every day for a month? It sounds to me like she needs to figure out what made her want to do that in the first place. She is probably young and over time things should start to get better if she stays away from everything and gives her brain a chance to heal and recover, but more worrying to me is why she would feel the need to do that in the first place. Have you talked to her about this?

Thank you for replies i apologize for using my cat instead of my girlfriend actually i just saw people using a lot of names instead of swim and i was uninformed about that, anyway she is on a good way to full recovery, she started taking it because it seemed fun just as a recreational drug but it also works as kinda antidepressant so she was taking it regularly, her mom has a maniodepressive disorder and she is screaming at her most of time for totally stupid reasons, she isnt giving her any money practically she doesnt care about her and her brother is like a doll controlled by his mother and he is beating her, but her mom wont admit that she is sick and hates everyone that told her so, even she ran away from doctors as they told her so. Her parents are divorced and her father ran emigrated to other country. She cant do anything about this because if she sued her mother, they will take her to orpahanage because she isnt 18 yet.

Last edited:
Man of all the drugs to binge on... Why...

Make sure your gf never touches the shit again, could throw her into w/d's again. It's very hard to read the OP with all the "my cat" stuff but it sounds like she's fine usually but sometimes is just suddenly all fucked up? That doesn't sound too usual to me.

It's possible she has pre existing mental issues, or they were worsened/created by the DXM/mannitol abuse. Take her to a doc or psychiatrist/ologist, make sure she's okay. Get her eating healthy, vitamins and all, exercise always helps too.

Tell her next time she needs to binge away her problems at least smoke weed instead or something. Better yet, just talk to somebody or go to an NA meeting for support etc

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. Just do your best not to use any more DXM, and you should recover hopefully.

Oh gosh 750mg unpure Dxm not good. Dxm is good because it doesn't make people go mad like LSD as far as we know. Dxm destroys nerves in the brain which caused derealysation fluctuation drowsyness and dissyness which doesn't seem to go away for long term users.

Third pletau trips every day for a months. Puh for gods same take her to a psychiatrist or a therapist get her some beta blockers against the anxiety and maybe a some diazepam.

Don't make the Same mistake I made. A year ago I was in the same position only that I took a second pletau trip and took an aspirin before which made the effect last for over 2 weeks. It felt like a first pletau trip for the time being I found concentrat felt unreal was extremely scared had tinnitus all the time I got really hardcore depressions felt stupid my memory was really bad I would forget my thoughts and get the famous complex thought that you get after long term use of Dxm and not to forget the snowy vison that still hasent faded after a full year.

Please get her to a docter other wise she might never feel the same. Atleast I don't.

I wish I would have had someone that could have brought me to one but me ? I was way to scared. It's not bad you won't get in trouble. People come all the time with those mind of problems.

Actually she'll probably be perfectly fine in a few months. I've been using the stuff like almost daily for almost near, but when I miss three days or so I start crying and getting super angry and other crazy emotional stuff. After like a week, though, I'm back to normal, but I usually don't want to wait a week so I just take some more.

DXM probably doesn't cause brain damage. Maybe some short term excitotoxicity? But that'll go away. Brain damage is a pretty relative concept and almost always heals itself after some time.

A doctor would probably help a lot though. If her mom has mental illness, chances are she does too, and DXM will make that a lot worse always, but only temporarily.

@ lars90 not sure about LSD makes you go mad comment.lol madness is a bad term for mental illness and LSD's longterm effects on the brain are uncertain and statements regarding this are conjecture.

However, OP I would say that use of certain drugs including dissasociatives can cause symptoms of an underlying mental health condition to be more apparent and this could well be the case with your girlfriend. Add to this a family history of mental illness and a home enviroment obviously not conductive mental well-being and I would say a chat with a doctor might be appropiate. You might have to check the law where you live but in most places doctors are not automatically required to inform aurthorities or even parents of underage patients. So you can explain to a doctor that you dont want her mother ti know and a doctor can make a decision on that. Whatever you decide to do I hope your girlfriend recovers well and wish you both happiness.

Thank you guys, im doing my best to keep her away from dex, she still has those symptoms but it is getting better, another thing that she told me today is that sometimes she feels whole body aches. I wont take her to psychiatrist im pretty sure we can handle this situation on our own, i hope that over the time all those symptoms fade and she will feel normal again. Huge thanks to you guys i feel less scared about it now and i hope it will get better over time, and sorry for the cat stuff this is my first post :)

Long term DXM use can lead to a psychotic break and will likely end in a psyc ward. I've seen it happen.

Just remember that as long as you're still alive things can always get much worse, and things can always get better. It just depends on your attitude and actions.

Last edited:
Well why dont you want an See what Happens? If it dient get better go to a psychiatrist if it does dont. And keep us updated. You really don't have to be scared you want get in trouble. How old are you guys?

I've been a pretty avid dxm user for the past 2 years. At times it would be everyday that I would trip, and at times I would take a break and continue on after a few weeks. Currently, in order to trip I have to take 32 30mg pills of pure dxm. I've recently started to notice different side effects nearing the end and beginning of the trip. My heart rate would go through the roof- sometimes I swore in the next five minutes I would be dead. When that passed all was "well". Before I started taking 32 pills I would just pass out and sleep fine, and in the morning would still slightly feel it (as dxm users know), but now it's different. I'm physically unable to sleep. My hands will shake, muscles will twitch and spasm, I could pretty much hear and feel my entire body tremoring, not to mention a ridiculously loud heart beat. Not to mention dxm was pretty obviously the cause of my depression that still occurs.

I never thought the day would come when I thought about doing dxm and said "nah" simply because it ruins the next few days for me, and started to become very scary. In the last two days I've experienced what I believe to be withdrawal. From all of the research I've done online, it didn't seem that dxm caused any extreme withdrawal. At first I thought I was ill, but I didn't have the head cold feeling that I normally did. I would wake up and be exhausted, but when I tried to sleep I just couldn't. My body reacted like I was on the last phase of a dxm trip - heart beating fast, muscle spasms, sharp pains. Not to mention an extreme headache that lasted all day. My muscles felt like I ran a marathon, my appetite completely disappeared, being outdoors made me nauseous, and I had hot and cold flashes.
Today things seem to be better. But I'm still wondering if this occurred because of the lack of dxm - it has been almost 2 weeks - or if it was a stress cold or something. Regardless, it was unlike any sickness I had felt before and it was AWFUL.

I was wondering if anyone with previous dxm use has had this problem? and whether or not it was reoccurring and/or how to prevent it?

I've been a pretty avid dxm user for the past 2 years. At times it would be everyday that I would trip, and at times I would take a break and continue on after a few weeks. Currently, in order to trip I have to take 32 30mg pills of pure dxm. I've recently started to notice different side effects nearing the end and beginning of the trip. My heart rate would go through the roof- sometimes I swore in the next five minutes I would be dead. When that passed all was "well". Before I started taking 32 pills I would just pass out and sleep fine, and in the morning would still slightly feel it (as dxm users know), but now it's different. I'm physically unable to sleep. My hands will shake, muscles will twitch and spasm, I could pretty much hear and feel my entire body tremoring, not to mention a ridiculously loud heart beat. Not to mention dxm was pretty obviously the cause of my depression that still occurs.

I never thought the day would come when I thought about doing dxm and said "nah" simply because it ruins the next few days for me, and started to become very scary. In the last two days I've experienced what I believe to be withdrawal. From all of the research I've done online, it didn't seem that dxm caused any extreme withdrawal. At first I thought I was ill, but I didn't have the head cold feeling that I normally did. I would wake up and be exhausted, but when I tried to sleep I just couldn't. My body reacted like I was on the last phase of a dxm trip - heart beating fast, muscle spasms, sharp pains. Not to mention an extreme headache that lasted all day. My muscles felt like I ran a marathon, my appetite completely disappeared, being outdoors made me nauseous, and I had hot and cold flashes.
Today things seem to be better. But I'm still wondering if this occurred because of the lack of dxm - it has been almost 2 weeks - or if it was a stress cold or something. Regardless, it was unlike any sickness I had felt before and it was AWFUL.

I was wondering if anyone with previous dxm use has had this problem? and whether or not it was reoccurring and/or how to prevent it?
listen to me. And please do what i say. Im myself a completely mess right now. You have CRAZY withdrawals. Its anger and Anxiety
/ stress. I am going through the same things. I did capture videos with my last Words to the People That loves me. I dont Care about dying. Would almost be a relief. So stay the fuck away from it. Its one of a the 'devil's drugs....like benzos