• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

3-HO-PCP synthesis byproducts

t4exanadu

Bluelighter
Hopefully this is the right forum, since this is more of a chemistry/toxicology question: I'm looking for some information on what the most likely candidates are in an impure synthesis of 3-HO-PCP. I only know basic organic chem, but I would like to have some idea of what one may be accidentally consuming in occasional use of this compound. Recent batches have a strong solvent or fuel smell and a grayish appearance, a stark contrast from the pure white stuff I've seen in the past. It smells basically like a mix of a solvent and gasoline (possibly cyclohexanone and gasoline?), and is slightly caustic to mucous membranes. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me regarding arylcyclohexylamine synthesis could speculate on what the likely impurities are, specifically that match those smells, and more generally what kind of byproducts there might be. I do plan on getting the sample tested, but in the meantime, I'd like some ideas.

Last edited:
Without proper testing (GC-MS or LC-MS) all anyone can do is speculate.

Most arylcyclohexylamine salts are acidic and will irritate mucous membranes even when totally pure.

Just speculating here, if I was in charge of making 3-HO-PCP, I would treat 3-MeO-PCP with refluxing HBr to bust the methyl ether open, then recrystallize the result.

Maybe they recrystallized it from something funny (xylene, toluene?) or did not totally remove the solvent? Again, without analytical tools to say for sure all you can do is speculate.

There was a batch, I can't remember if it was 3-MeO-PCP or 3-HO-PCP, that had a significant amount of PCC in it, that was a couple of years back though.

Yeah pcc and cyclohexanone and cyclohexanol would be the main impurities in pcps.any smells are probably a mix of these things and solvents or decomp products from sloppy distillation technique.try a recrystallization if u know how to do one.

Yeah pcc and cyclohexanone and cyclohexanol would be the main impurities in pcps.any smells are probably a mix of these things and solvents or decomp products from sloppy distillation technique.try a recrystallization if u know how to do one.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I know how to do it but don't have the tools, so I'll probably dispose of the batch. A shame really, 3-HO-PCP is absolutely wonderful.

I'm aware that PCC is neurotoxic, and generally toxic. I'm guessing, based on experience, that PCC also has psychoactive properties on it's own, but coupled with nausea, headache, muscular aches, and maybe some confusion (admittedly, that could be true of any number of impurities in sufficient dose). it felt characteristically different from previous experiences with 3-HO-PCP. That was my unfortunate experience the one time I ventured to try this batch. Living dangerously, I suppose.

Last edited:
pcc should not be present in 3-ho-pcp, the conc. hbr treatment used to convert 3-meo to 3-ho (common synthetic route) would hydrolise/destroy it

cyclohexanone and/or cyclohexanol would be oily and have a very characteristic odor too, so if you have a crystalline powder there cannot be very much

pcc should not be present in 3-ho-pcp, the conc. hbr treatment used to convert 3-meo to 3-ho (common synthetic route) would hydrolise/destroy it

cyclohexanone and/or cyclohexanol would be oily and have a very characteristic odor too, so if you have a crystalline powder there cannot be very much

I would say it's mostly crystalline, but also seems slightly moist, at least compared to previous samples which were very much crystalline and dry. Not sure what those smell like, but this has a solvent and/or gasoline-like smell to it.

I can't add anything useful, but out of all the batches of arylcyclohexylamines I've had, DCK had the best chance for nasty by-products. Might have to do with that I've sourced most of it through the Deep Web while usually I do buy from relatively reputable vendors, at least one I know that they do GC/MS testing (and not just pass random curves, that is). Ok, and I dislike the 3-HO's, somehow they are dysphoric to me, kinda the opposite of that tasty manic energy most of them have, especially 3-MeO-PCE and MXE.

Would be interesting what actually has been found and which ones are toxic.. I guess even something like >97% purity says little if there's a chance to catch a toxin which is active in the sub-mg area - don't know how chances exactly are, that's not my area of knowledge unfortunately..

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I know how to do it but don't have the tools, so I'll probably dispose of the batch. A shame really, 3-HO-PCP is absolutely wonderful.

I'm aware that PCC is neurotoxic, and generally toxic. I'm guessing, based on experience, that PCC also has psychoactive properties on it's own, but coupled with nausea, headache, muscular aches, and maybe some confusion (admittedly, that could be true of any number of impurities in sufficient dose). it felt characteristically different from previous experiences with 3-HO-PCP. That was my unfortunate experience the one time I ventured to try this batch. Living dangerously, I suppose.
Recrystallization doesn't really need "tools".a cup is fine.