• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

3 deaths may be tied to synthetic marijuana in Colorado

Bluelight Crew
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/06/health/synthetic-marijuana-denver/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- Three people in Colorado may have died after smoking synthetic marijuana, state health officials fear. The Colorado Department of Public Health has launched an investigation into an outbreak of illnesses at hospitals that may be tied to the dangerous substance.

"Initial reports show approximately 75 people who reported smoking a form of synthetic marijuana may have been seen at hospitals in the Denver metro area and Colorado Springs beginning in late August," said Dr. Tista Ghosh, interim chief medical officer for the state, in a written statement. "Several individuals were in intensive care and three deaths are being investigated as possibly associated."

The Colorado Department of Health, with help from local health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, will attempt to figure out if the synthetic marijuana is to blame, and if so, whether all the patients were sickened by the same product or different ones.

But "don't wait for the results of this investigation," Ghosh urged. "If you have synthetic marijuana, stop using it and destroy it."

The story continues: http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/06/health/synthetic-marijuana-denver/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

fixed it for him

Stop using it and buy real pot

why are people using synthetic pot in a state where real pot is legal?!

I'm not sure where legislation is at with that, and how it affects those who are on probation. I guess some people might be using synthetic pot to pass drug tests. I would never use it though.

I still occasionally use an older synthetic instead of real cannabis. Sometimes it's better, since it doesn't mess with my head to the same degree (i.e. it is a more functional high if not used excessively). But it's just one chemical, and I have taken hits from the same batch numerous times without problems. Don't think I'd ever quite trust those pre-prepared blends, though :\

They possibly were getting drug tested.

That's a terrible excuse though, to use something so sketchy. So many people can't go several days/weeks without pot, its kind of disgusting.

Not sure if this is connected at all to the incidences in Colorado, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
From http://anonym.to/?http://gbi.georgia.gov/press-releases/2013-09-12/herbal-incense-seized-glynn-county-determined-be-schedule-i-substance
Savannah, GA– The Glynn County Police Department submitted several packages labeled “Crazy Clown”’, marketed as an herbal incense product, to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) Crime Lab in Savannah. The laboratory analyzed the material in these packages to determine if a controlled substance was present. The analysis confirmed the presence of a new synthetic cannabinoid, ADB-PINACA. Confirmation of this new compound by the GBI Crime Lab is the first known instance of this particular synthetic cannabinoid in the U.S. The ADB-PINACA compound is categorized as a Schedule I substance by O.C.G.A 16-30-31 as part of Chase’s Law which was passed by the Georgia General Assembly in the 2012 session.
I'm wondering if it was the substance itself that caused the negative side-effects, or some kind of contaminant. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Last edited:
Damn those floods in Colorado look hectic, they've shown them on the news here the last few nights.

I'll correct this headline: 3 people dead after smoking a mixture of plant materials and random chemicals.

I've been smoking synthetic cannabinoids on and off since 2007, this last year nearly almost everyday. I don't experience any side effects but I also don't buy random mixtures of ground up plant material mixed with something I don't know what it is.

If you're wondering why I don't smoke weed instead, it's because I'm bored with it. My tolerance is far too high to get anything useful out of weed and that addiction just became a hole in my wallet so I switched.

I don't get all the hate on synthetic cannabinoids. I think it's becoming like "omg i would never take pcp that makes you go crazy and fight off a swat team with a broom". It's the same with synthetics, all this talk about a million side effects and crap that's coming from people who aren't even smoking synthetics makes me annoyed.

Last edited:
Yea i get the drug test thing but colo prob has some of the best bud in the country. Cant you just by the whizzinator or fake dick thing lol?

I think the problem is shit jobs testing for drugs when really they can use the drug testing budget to pay their employees better.

If they did that the money would probably go to upper management as it does in most minimum wage jobs.

Drug testing should only be given out to people that fuck up on the job. But testing for pot is ridiculous as it stays in your system for so long. There is no way to prove if your high then or two weeks ago.