• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

3,4-Dihydroxybutanoic acid

Synaps3

Bluelighter
Is there any research about the activity of this chemical? It is basically GABOB (gamma-Amino-beta-hydroxybutyric acid) which is naturally occurring in the body, replaced with a hydroxy instead of an amino. The same thing was done to GABA to make GHB, so I was thinking this might make a new interesting chemical with GHB effects. Do you think it would be active?

its probably too polar to cross the bbb effectively

too many polar groups, yeah, I don't think it'll be active.

dopamine has problems, and that's not nearly as polar.

TL;DR this compound won't be a GHB/GABAergic type sedative, because it is unable to make it across the membrane called the blood-brain barrier. The BBB, as it is called, can usually only be 'crossed' by drugs which can dissolve through the fatty membrane (or be sucked up by little pumps that move certain moecules across it). So compounds that are more "oily" and "fat soluble" (less polar) will enter the brain much easier than compounds that are closer to behaving like water. (electrically charged compounds, acids, etc)

This compound is not very fat soluble, because it is an acid with lots of hydroxyl groups on it (OH groups), which makes it chemically closer to a very water soluble compound like sugar, rather than a "druglike" compound like THC.

Basically, this compound is too water soluble. You will just pee it out and it won't fuck you up.

Last edited:
TL;DR this compound won't be a GHB/GABAergic type sedative, because it is unable to make it across the membrane called the blood-brain barrier. The BBB, as it is called, can usually only be 'crossed' by drugs which can dissolve through the fatty membrane (or be sucked up by little pumps that move certain moecules across it). So compounds that are more "oily" and "fat soluble" (less polar) will enter the brain much easier than compounds that are closer to behaving like water. (electrically charged compounds, acids, etc)

This compound is not very fat soluble, because it is an acid with lots of hydroxyl groups on it (OH groups), which makes it chemically closer to a very water soluble compound like sugar, rather than a "druglike" compound like THC.

Basically, this compound is too water soluble. You will just pee it out and it won't fuck you up.

fucking brilliant man, your explanation is professor-esque....did it require chemistry knowledge for you to understand this, basically do i need chemistry classes to grasp these concepts

did it require chemistry knowledge for you to understand this, basically do i need chemistry classes to grasp these concepts

Pretty much, yes. If you want to understand the theory behind drugs, it's a good idea to have a grasp on chemistry and biology, otherwise you're stuck scratching the surface.