• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology 2-methyl-2-butanol impurities?

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic

Woodworth

Greenlighter
Over a year ago I consumed 2-methyl-2-butanol from a chemical supplier regularly for a while, perhaps 500ml over the course of several months. I haven't consumed any in over a year and I don't think I'll ever do it again. Recently I've worried somewhat about the impurities and their carcinogenic potential. I think it was supposed to be 98+ percent pure, but that still leaves a lot of room for other compounds. Does anyone know what sorts of compounds are likely to comprise the impurities?

If their is a GCMS and/or NMR of the stuff you use, we can work out what else is in there. Don't forget, they are stating GREATER than 98% i.e. the tolerances between batches allows upto 1.99% to be other compounds. Most likely positional isomers and feedstock.

I don't know where you acquire your material from or what it's intended uses are but if it's intended to be used as a solvent, you can't have stuff left in there which might mess up the reaction. One named route uses 2-Methylbut-3-yn-2-ol as feedstock and that's actually LESS toxic and a more potent hypnotic.

So, while better safe than sorry, I cannot readily think of anything that at 2% is going to represent a greater health risk than the 2-methyl-2-butanol itself.

BTW I'm told it has a simply awful taste and I've noted that some obscure site is selling the carbamate ester of the stuff which I believe is a more potent, longer acting and slightly safer derivative. I forget the specified usage but it seemed... out of place.