• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

1x week etizolam long-term effects on cognition/memory consolidation

Hyperflux

Bluelighter
I'm wondering what the long-term repurcussion of using etizolam once a week at a dose of 1-2mg is on general cognition and memory consolidation. I am aware of the Wikipedia article on long-term effects of benzo use, but I'm only using it once a week.

I'm just concerned that I'm losing out on memory consolidation on the night I'm taking etizolam. For example, if I'm studying for 10 hours on Saturday and decide to take 2mg etizolam, do I basically lose all the information I've learned? Similarly, how deteriorating is it to cognition if I continue using it once a week in this fashion? Any input is appreciated.

The losing out on memory consolidation on the night you're taking etizolam would be caused by etizolam itself, since benzos and thienodiazepines in general cause memory loss and lowered cognition. Etizolam is a rather terrible drug to take when studying.

As for long term affects? Doing it once a week shouldn't be an issue at all. It's people who use drugs like this daily for a while (years+) that suffer from all of the horrible long-term cognition problems you can get, even after you quit.

I should note that taking thienodiazepines for sleep after a night of studying, may affect how much information you retain from studying. The reason for this is that thienodiazepines disrupt the sleep cycle, negatively affecting parts of the sleep cycle important in retaining information. So while you may wake up refreshed thinking you had a great sleep, you actually didn't. There are plenty of drugs for sleep that don't do this, like pregabalin, or even mirtazapine.

Damn, this all makes sense now. During this semester, I would take low dose dextroamphetamine (5-7.5mg instant release) on Saturdays to get a lot of work and studying done as I chose that day to be my high yield day. The only problem is that I'm a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6 (confirmed genetically) and have COMT poylmorphisms, so I sleep very poorly that night with the dex in my system. My solution to this is to take etizolam but it looks like I was doing more harm than good with respect to retaining information. Oh well, it's my last semester.

once a week shouldn't be having too much of an effect on you. its once when your taking several pills just to get through the day and then a bunch more to get to sleep that the cognitive effects become severe. but yeah as mentioned already, if you cram all night and then pop an etz just before bed you'll probably forget a bunch of stuff as they're hypnotics.