• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

1st time posting....any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated(methadone, morphin

JennBoo

Greenlighter
Hello,

Ist day here and 1st post. Just came after trying to google some info and the vast majority of info that I found to make sense came from here (bluelight) so I thought id try....

I have a serious pain condition that has been managed with methadone (for pain) for the last 7 years. I was on a relatively low dose , 40 mgs. My doctor was thrown in jail and now I am at a new pain doctor that just flat out refuses to prescribe methadone. I have NO IDEA why, as I never got high with it, however did get some pain relief but whatever, she wont write it. OK so I went from 40 mgs to none cold turkey over night. I was honestly expecting HELL but surprisingly , I was fine. The new Dr. put me on 60 mg oxycodone (IR) daily in 15 mg pill form. This was my first time on oxy and like I said, it held the WDs away but I received absolutely 0 pain relief from it. I was on it for 11 days. Yesterday I went to DR and told her that I was still in severe pain, so she decided to switch it to morphine 30mg (IR) pills, up to 120 mg daily. WEEEEELLLLLLL..in my naive mind, this was going to make it better because more mg = more relief right?? WRONG!
Long story short I am now full on feeling WDs and the pain is worse than before. After some research here I discovered that the vast majority of people prefer Oxy to morphine, even at a higher dosage because of the absorption rate. So I know that I can call Monday and get switched back to oxy at a slightly higher dose (80 mgs daily) because we did discuss this yesterday as a contingency plan for if the morphine didn't help. (THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MY CLUE)

My main questions are as follows: are there any other opiates that may be a better option that I should suggest when I call Monday? Also will there be a substantial difference in the 60 mgs daily to 80 mgs daily if I decide to try the oxy again?
Should I suggest a long acting version instead of IR? I ask this because when they wear off overnight it becomes unbearable.
Are there any other tips or hints that anyone can offer?

While I know this is a different journey for all of us, and there is not a 1 size fits all remedy, I just need suggestions. This sucks, withdrawls from methadone REALLY SUCK, and I miss my methadone seriously bad. Eventually I want to go to another Doctor that may be more receptive to writing done, but for now, it is what it is.

***Additional info***
I have complex regional pain syndrome in both legs and ADD (since I was a child) I have been on Adderall for as long as I can remember and currently take 90 mg daily. I have also been on Ambien 10mg daily for 7 or 8 years although I have not taken it in the past 12 days because I'm terrified of mixing ambien with the new meds.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any tips......

JennBoo

Hi, some pain management doctors don't feel comfortable with prescribing methadone anymore. You may have to switch to a longer-acting formulation like Oxycontin or Oxymorphone as an adjunct to your shorter-acting meds. Ultimately, it's up to your doctor if he's willing to do that. We have a pain management thread you might want to check out if you want to join the discussion:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/793435-The-Pain-Management-Mega-Thread-v-7