• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe 16mg Suboxone to quality kratom?

CocaineDreams

Greenlighter
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to switch from 16mg/day Suboxone to kratom? I've only been on subs for 6 weeks, taking them to come off of fentanyl which was a horrid 4-5 day wait before I got tapered up on the subs at first.

I can't afford the Suboxone and it's a long ways everyday to the clinic on the bus. Just moved to a new place. I wanted to order some good quality kratom(I have a company I steady got from in 2021 and always were top notch) and jump to that and just stop the Suboxone. I was wondering if at my dose that's possible? Idk if I can really taper, unless I talked to my clinic, but I'm still looking for work and got enough money for like a week of the Suboxone. Can I just jump straight to the kratom a day or two after my last dose? Obviously I'd probably have to start off at a decently high dose of kratom but yeah. As long as it deals with the restlessness and makes that manageable, I can deal with ANYTHING else symptom wise.

Thanks again for any answers guys :) interview Monday btw :)

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to switch from 16mg/day Suboxone to kratom? I've only been on subs for 6 weeks, taking them to come off of fentanyl which was a horrid 4-5 day wait before I got tapered up on the subs at first.

I can't afford the Suboxone and it's a long ways everyday to the clinic on the bus. Just moved to a new place. I wanted to order some good quality kratom(I have a company I steady got from in 2021 and always were top notch) and jump to that and just stop the Suboxone. I was wondering if at my dose that's possible? Idk if I can really taper, unless I talked to my clinic, but I'm still looking for work and got enough money for like a week of the Suboxone. Can I just jump straight to the kratom a day or two after my last dose? Obviously I'd probably have to start off at a decently high dose of kratom but yeah. As long as it deals with the restlessness and makes that manageable, I can deal with ANYTHING else symptom wise.

Thanks again for any answers guys :) interview Monday btw :)

I don't have any experience doing this but it might be possible. However it might be hard to consume the amount of kratom that is equivalent to 16mg of buprenorphine.

You won't feel the kratom at all until after about 3 days with no suboxone, the buprenorphine also blocks kratom. And even then the kratom will just take the edge off the withdrawals at best. I've actually tried this multiple times and it never worked too well for me. The kratom extract shots like O P M S gold was the only kratom product that would get me back to feeling just kind of normal. I took multiple different powders and even the best of them just left me feeling not quite as sick as before. Suboxone is just soooo much stronger than kratom that when you try to switch it basically does nothing. Kratom worked amazing for me getting off percs and other pain pills years ago but after suboxone I just couldn't feel it anymore.

I don't have any experience doing this but it might be possible. However it might be hard to consume the amount of kratom that is equivalent to 16mg of buprenorphine.
It might be dangerous. Better to draw down your bupe dose to like 2mg then jump over.

Any amount of kratom isn't dangerous, as it doesn't cause respiratory depression. However, speaking from experience, kratom barely puts a dent in suboxone withdrawals. You won't feel it whatsoever until you get the level of suboxone in your system down to around 1mg, which will take 4 half lives (actually around 1.5mg of suboxone and you'll start to feel it a little, so more like 3.5 half lives). Considering the half life of suboxone is so long, it will be quite a few days before you can feel the kratom at all. If you are going to transition to kratom, I would taper the suboxone down to 2mg first, and then try to transition, it will make the waiting period between withdrawals and being able to not have the kratom blocked entirely shorter, than thus, more bearable.

Even when you can feel kratom, it will not do very much to make you feel good. Expect to spend a couple of weeks feeling fairly bad, at best, before the kratom will start to actually stop withdrawals completely (this is once you're able to feel it through the suboxone). I have gone back and forth between suboxone and kratom a number of times and every time it's been a couple of weeks on kratom, dosing it every few hours in order to prevent myself from feeling full withdrawals (but still feeling light to moderate withdrawals), before I felt okay. And kratom has a ceiling effect where taking more will not make you feel better, and will instead make you feel nauseous and dizzy.

I've been using kratom to cut down on suboxone. I was on 16mg for 5 years then cut down to 12mg on my own this last year.

But I tried kratom a couple months ago and have been able to cut down from 12mg to 6mg in a couple months.

But suboxone does block out some of the kratom, there are studies that explain what alkaloids in kratom affect which opiate receptors in the brain. Which is why I still feel some kratom. But no stimulant effects while on sub.

But basically u cut down 2mg of sub every couple weeks and use the kratom to help deal. I use white, green, and red strains and there's actually a really thorough guide for this on reddit that I'll link if it's allowed.

I only just found out about the reddit guide but it's very thorough and explains to use all 3 colors and have 2 of each color that you like so you can alternate. Although I haven't tried any gold or black. Only white, red, Green, and Yellow.

Hope that helps. Kratom finally gave me hope that I'll get off subs. Tried once and jumped off at 2mg, so dumb. I went through 10 days of agonizing, paralyzing pain, a dollar ended up in hospital day 10 and back on sub bc I couldn't take it. And I have terrible migraines, been extremely ill with pneumonia, dying in the hospital from Steven's Johnson Syndrome but those 10 days were worse than all of it except maybe Steven's Johnson syndrome but I was given Morphine every 4 hours when I had that. Sub wd I had no relief.

It says opiates, sub is opiate blocker but it is included in this guide. Which I can't figure out how to link but if u go to the about section and scroll down to: From Opiates to Kratom: Guide to Transitioning.

Last edited:
I have tried pretty much every strain or Kratom and I would say DO NOT SWITCH from that 16mg dose of sub.

I went on the Methadone Clinic at 18 (didn't have enough to pay the bills I was on about 200 something mls of Liquid Methadone) My face was literally in my Pasta I would say I was using about 160mgs of OxyContin/Percocet/H then legally switched to Methadone (while being on many Benzo's this was back 12 yrs ago) Then, I tried Subs way before Kratom was around I've been on it like 4 or 5 times. I personally NEVER would take the risk of Kratom weening me off versus Suboxone. Suboxone held me when I use to get into "Fentora" which were Buccal Tabs of Fent./ MS Contin at around 100mgs tabs and about 10 20mg tabs of Oxymorphone daily. I would take Subs. and deal with it. You're not on Methadone (that's a NASTY detox) keep it easy and stick with Subs.

Just my opinion.....

I've been using kratom to cut down on suboxone. I was on 16mg for 5 years then cut down to 12mg on my own this last year.

But I tried kratom a couple months ago and have been able to cut down from 12mg to 6mg in a couple months.

But suboxone does block out some of the kratom, there are studies that explain what alkaloids in kratom affect which opiate receptors in the brain. Which is why I still feel some kratom. But no stimulant effects while on sub.

But basically u cut down 2mg of sub every couple weeks and use the kratom to help deal. I use white, green, and red strains and there's actually a really thorough guide for this on reddit that I'll link if it's allowed.

I only just found out about the reddit guide but it's very thorough and explains to use all 3 colors and have 2 of each color that you like so you can alternate. Although I haven't tried any gold or black. Only white, red, Green, and Yellow.

Hope that helps. Kratom finally gave me hope that I'll get off subs. Tried once and jumped off at 2mg, so dumb. I went through 10 days of agonizing, paralyzing pain, a dollar ended up in hospital day 10 and back on sub bc I couldn't take it. And I have terrible migraines, been extremely ill with pneumonia, dying in the hospital from Steven's Johnson Syndrome but those 10 days were worse than all of it except maybe Steven's Johnson syndrome but I was given Morphine every 4 hours when I had that. Sub wd I had no relief.

It says opiates, sub is opiate blocker but it is included in this guide. Which I can't figure out how to link but if u go to the about section and scroll down to: From Opiates to Kratom: Guide to Transitioning.

Just so you're aware, kratom is an opioid, and addictive, too. Some people say that kratom barely has withdrawals, but myself and quite a few others beg to differ. In low daily doses, kratom has mild withdrawals, but when you're dosing around the clock and taking a lot, the withdrawals are really bad. The restlessness and insomnia are worse than I have felt from any other opioid, in high doses. And when I've jumped off of suboxone and used kratom to help me through before, I end up dosing large amounts just to feel not horrible... I still don't feel good.

Helping to reduce is one thing, I think that's a good use for it if it helps you, but when you jump off completely, even from a low dose of suboxone, there will be withdrawals for weeks, and I really hope you can avoid replacing suboxone dependence with kratom dependence, because kratom sucks worse to be addicted to than suboxone does, at least to me. It wears off after like 2 hours, which makes me constantly up and down all day long... I feel constantly on the edge of withdrawal, even right after I take a dose. I'm in a bad mood all the time, I sleep poorly, and I wake up in withdrawal before I'm even done sleeping. And it's much harder for me to taper than suboxone.

Part of my response may be that I actually started my love affair with opiates with kratom...back in 2003 before hardly anyone knew about it outside of Thailand/Indonesia/etc. I absolutely loved it, and quickly became dependent, which I hadn't even realized was possible. I spent 5 years of my life heavily addicted to kratom, I was dosing up to 100 grams per day by the end. Ever since then, I get withdrawals from kratom after just 2 days in a row of dosing it once per day, even after I have been clean.

I just had to say this, because too many people are pushing kratom as some sort of miracle cure for opiate addiction, or even saying it isn't an opioid, or considering it harmless or saying that it doesn't even have real withdrawals. But it definitely can. I actually switched to suboxone from kratom, and that's why I'm on suboxone, because I found it impossible to taper off of kratom, and I hated the way I felt every day so much while on it. I was constantly relapsing on stronger opiates so I could get a few days of actually feeling good. I was spending huge amounts of money and I was just sick of it, and on suboxone I feel normal and stable and totally lose any desire for any other opiates. For me it was a better option. My plan is to taper by 10% every week, until I reach 0.1mg or maybe even 0.05mg, which will take a very long time, but when I jump from that dose, I hope to be able to deal with the withdrawals from such a tiny dose, with the help of exercise.

Just so you're aware, kratom is an opioid, and addictive, too. Some people say that kratom barely has withdrawals, but myself and quite a few others beg to differ. In low daily doses, kratom has mild withdrawals, but when you're dosing around the clock and taking a lot, the withdrawals are really bad. The restlessness and insomnia are worse than I have felt from any other opioid, in high doses. And when I've jumped off of suboxone and used kratom to help me through before, I end up dosing large amounts just to feel not horrible... I still don't feel good.
I have only tried the tablets myself. .I've seen/heard the Tea is a way better Solution than the Tabs being that you can ingest a lot more from the Tea. I heard Kratom equals almost a mid-high Tramadol dose or a Codeine 30-40mg pill.

edit- I've tried a lot of the kratom but my personal favorite strain is White Vein Borneo/ Super Red at extremely high doses. I never tried the Tea forMoney reasons. But, coming off of around 250mg Morphine/ 12mg Hydromorphone opioid kick it's difficult.

Last edited:
I have only tried the tablets myself. .I've seen/heard the Tea is a way better Solution than the Tabs being that you can ingest a lot more from the Tea. I heard Kratom equals almost a mid-high Tramadol dose or a Codeine 30-40mg pill.

edit- I've tried a lot of the kratom but my personal favorite strain is White Vein Borneo/ Super Red at extremely high doses. I never tried the Tea forMoney reasons. But, coming off of around 250mg Morphine/ 12mg Hydromorphone opioid kick it's difficult.
I hear you there.. I have been using on and off for almost 11 years , i got on the methadone clinic almost 2 years ago and i had almost a year just on that and weed but fucked up about a year ago and have been using since. I snort heroin which is basically non existent where i live on the East coast its all basically fentanyl now. Been trying to kick but the double habit is just brutal! Been looking into kratom tea too help me with the WD symptoms. Good luck this shit is rough but we can get through it!!