• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

16 days clean

Johnny66o1

Greenlighter
Methadone user (clinic) since 2013.. 250mgs. Took years to to lower down to 8 and hopped off. To those that are in a similar predicament allow me to share what i did.

SKIP as many doses as you possibly can, I can’t explain it- I don’t know if the body just becomes resilient to withdrawals after you have “tasted” withdrawals so many times or what- but that seemed to help me a lot, maybe you just grow tough skin and it ends up not being as bad when you finally hop off.

As stated in title writing this at day 16 and the only (physical) symptom left is restless legs, but no where near as bad. Currently others is insomnia and obviously the devil on my shoulder nudging me back to the clinic but you just have to bitch slap that devil and telling your a badass and you enjoy the suffering as punishment to never fall back into this. Obviously I’m well into the Post Acute Withdrawals now but again you have to backhand those as well and remember it will get better it may take months but keep pushing. I think those of us that recover end up being some of the strongest people on this planet. I love you all I pray for you all and on your darkest night remember there is sunshine right around the corner. I write this with tears in my eyes for my best friend that I lost to opiates wishing he could be here with me on this journey, additionally to all of those on here that have “stopped” posting I wish you peace wherever you are and if your still here, just remember we are all in this together. ♥️

Congrats man. I know I’ve only been clean a short time this round but that’s the thing, I know relapse isn’t part of it but in my experience it has not been linear at all.

But I’m at a point where if I slip I don’t binge. I slipped earlier this week because I found an old stash of mine and hard to resist when it’s right in my face with no obvious consequences. Just one time right??? Ha, the classic lie I tell myself. But this time I was fortunate and don’t seek more.

Which just means I got lucky and need to continue the fight. I got right back up the next day and pushed thru the depression that follows stim abuse for me.

That’s what life is all about I think. Never giving up on this or any other dials important to you.

I quit opiates or whatever first haven’t done true opioids aside from once in years.

The only thing I’ve had issue with is stims this past two years and I told my dr to stop writing them for me.

So idk, I guess part of why I’m saying this is to say you don’t have to relapse and this isn’t to say it’s a good excuse to relapse, but if it does happen (doesn’t sound likely) just get back up and fight again. I dont think you will have to worry about that though.

That's a huge achievement, congrats! And thanks for sharing and for your kind words, posts like this always motivate me to keep going with my own recovery. Sadly, we can't bring back our dead friends, but we can keep them in our hearts and try to stay alive ourselves, knowing that they would be proud of how far we've come.

Congrats on this undertaking. It deserves it.
Another case where there is success. ;)
My best,
J

Hi. First off congratulations.I have recently stopped methadone after 6 years OLD and wish I knew since I jumped off 7 days ago I have slightly gotten better but I still can't stop restless body and legs and have had less that 4 hours sleep in a week. Does anyone know how long to expect this or does it differ from person to person. Also I was on 140 and tapered down to ten before stopping. Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated. Stu

Methadone user (clinic) since 2013.. 250mgs. Took years to to lower down to 8 and hopped off. To those that are in a similar predicament allow me to share what i did.

SKIP as many doses as you possibly can, I can’t explain it- I don’t know if the body just becomes resilient to withdrawals after you have “tasted” withdrawals so many times or what- but that seemed to help me a lot, maybe you just grow tough skin and it ends up not being as bad when you finally hop off.

As stated in title writing this at day 16 and the only (physical) symptom left is restless legs, but no where near as bad. Currently others is insomnia and obviously the devil on my shoulder nudging me back to the clinic but you just have to bitch slap that devil and telling your a badass and you enjoy the suffering as punishment to never fall back into this. Obviously I’m well into the Post Acute Withdrawals now but again you have to backhand those as well and remember it will get better it may take months but keep pushing. I think those of us that recover end up being some of the strongest people on this planet. I love you all I pray for you all and on your darkest night remember there is sunshine right around the corner. I write this with tears in my eyes for my best friend that I lost to opiates wishing he could be here with me on this journey, additionally to all of those on here that have “stopped” posting I wish you peace wherever you are and if your still here, just remember we are all in this together. ♥️

Precisely, brother. When I was in full-on cold turkey kick mode with Heroin I had to adopt that very same attitude too: you have to bitch-slap heroin and its wd's and say "Nah man, we had our good times but you fucked me over so toodles to you".
True too: Accept the suffering and also 'give in to it'. Surrender, if you will. It becomes easier then when you stop trying to fight it and come to the reasoning that this is in fact a transformative situation. There are many of these transformative situations you'll come across in life and none of them come without suffering on some level however its all for the better in the end.

Things will get so good that you'll forget how bad they ever were...

Congrats man.

I took my mother-in-law decades to finally get clean but she died clean.

No junk and no methadone.