• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants ⫸POLL⫷ How does 5-HTP or l-tryptophan alter the effects of amphetamine (or Adderall)?

How has 5-HTP or L-tryptophan altered YOUR experience of amphetamines?

• Mostly enhances the effects

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Has no noticeable effect

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Mostly reduces the effects

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overall has variable effects (enhances and reduces)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jaguraguguru

Bluelighter
Mods, could you please make a poll for this post for people to choose whether in their actual experience, 5-HTP/L-tryptophan either:

1. Overall increases the effects of amphetamine
2. Has no noticeable effect on the effects of amphetamine
3. Overall decreases the effects of amphetamine
4. Changes the effects of amphetamine by increasing some effects and decreasing others

Important: Amphetamine and meth use only, not MDxx drugs. Please don't speculate, I am asking for experiences.

Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I've been really wondering about this for a long time and despite having searched many websites, forums, trip reports, and scientific articles, I cannot find much information about the effects of 5-HTP on amphetamine. I'm very curious about the interaction of serotonin and dopamine systems and have found conflicting information from most sources. Please answer the poll only with your real-life experience, not a guess or assumption and then post here saying 1: Your response in the poll, 2: a description of your experiences or a synopsis of the effects of these compounds (or similar compounds) on the effects of amphetamine (or Vyvanse, Adderall, dextroamphetamine, meth, etc, but NOT MDMA/MDA/methylone/bath salts related compounds). Thanks a lot everyone.

Again, I'm not asking for speculation or assumptions or suggestions based on something you've read. I've read essentially every source that exists on this subject and very little information exists, which is why I am asking for experiences only.

My own response to this question would be that I don't usually notice much after taking 5-HTP while on amphetamine or beforehand, although if I take it after staying up all night on amphetamine, it seems to make me a little bit tired (but I can't say for sure that wouldn't happen anyway, since I didn't sleep!). I never take more than 100 mg of 5-HTP while using amphetamines, which is a modest dose, so maybe that's why i don't notice anything.

Jaguraguguru

Last edited:
It depends on what system the amphetamine affects. With ones that primarily affect serotonin, taking a 5HT precursor could theoretically increase the effects because the drug has more serotonin to work with. Some MDMA users claim that taking 5htp increases their roll if they take it a few days prior to rolling. Then there are claims that taking it the day of the actual roll will dampen the experience. Idk IMO the serotonin system and it's interactions are very poorly researched at the moment.

As for amphetamines affecting the DA system primarily, I can't say.

Bump, very curius to hear the effects preloading with tryptophan/5HTP has on amphetamine

um, honestly i dont think there will be much effect. amp is more DA than 5HT by a long shot. not to mention 5ht itself seems kind of shady regarding any significant evidence of serotonin release/reuptake.

i find l-theanine/chelated magnesium/sodium carbonate to be the supreme amp preload.

5-HTP wouldn't effect amps that much due to the fact that amps mess with your dopamine transporters. L- tyrosine would alter the effects more since tyrosine converts into L-dopa then to dopamine.

So much for the poll...

I'm planning to order some tryptophan to take with my dex prescription. I will report back despite this thread being 9 years old. I'm sure the information will help someone; it's what I came here looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFC