View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘Cocaine makes the brain eat itself’

poledriver

Bluelighter
Terrifying new research reveals cocaine makes the brain eat itself

d1daa628236f7405b23a35d7756d664c

COCAINE could cause the brain to eat itself according to terrifying new research.

A study on mice discovered that the class A drug can trigger out of control “autophagy”, a scary process which makes cells literally start to digest themselves.

Properly regulated, the process is a vital “clean up” service ridding the body of unwanted rubbish dissolved by enzymes in cell “pockets”.

But the horrifying research has shown the process killed the mice when they were given high doses of coke.

Dr Prasun Guha, from John Hopkins University in the USA, who led the study said: “A cell is like a household that is constantly generating trash.

“Autophagy is the housekeeper that takes out the trash — it’s usually a good thing.

“But cocaine makes the housekeeper throw away really important things, like mitochondria, which produce energy for the cell.”

The scientists also found evidence of autophagy in the brain cells of mice whose mothers had been given the drug while pregnant.

An experimental drug, called CGP3466B, was found to be able to protect the mouse nerve cells from a coke induced death due to the terrifying process.

The drug is already known to be fit for humans as it has been through clinical trials to treat Parkinson’s and motor neurone disease.

But far more research is needed to find out if the drug can counteract the harmful effects of cocaine abuse in people, according to the scientists.

Co-author of the report, Dr Maged Harraz, added: “Since cocaine works exclusively to modulate autophagy versus other cell death programs, there’s a better chance that we can develop new targeted therapeutics to suppress its toxicity.”

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...f/news-story/c887b39a4565e8431f3b4deb0a14033a

How high a dose are we talking? Is this like that aspartame study where they claimed it was deadly because mice suffered when they were forced to consume it as the majority of their diet?

^ I was wondering the same thing - maybe they gave the mice several grams of coke each?
I tried to find the original study, but couldn't.

I like how they try to make it sound way more scary than it really is.

God I must have galatical size holes in my brain.. oh look I can rest my beer can in this one.

Which is nice because will need a ton of beer to be silly enough to consume "CGP3466B"

Mmm, thank you autophagy, Its just like a koozie.

^ I was wondering the same thing - maybe they gave the mice several grams of coke each?
I tried to find the original study, but couldn't.

Couldn't find it either. That plus the overusage of words like "terrifying" doesn't make it seem too credible in the first place.

Because I've got terrifying news for you too. Did you know that when you go outside, you're exposed to all kinds of radiation including UV? And that UV radiation has enough energy to do all kinds of tricks with chemical bonds inside our body, including messing with the DNA. So, going outside kills you, according to this new HORRIFYING finding!... except the fact that our bodies have adapted to all kinds of damage and it's not a problem unless you decide to sunbathe for 12 hours straight. My point is, the extent and threshold matter. Just because something can be harmful, it doesn't mean it is in all imaginable cases.

Last edited:
you can die from drinking too much water. What are we talking about here....the equivalent of a rat taking a 20 rock every six seconds for three days? Or being injected with their body weight in cocaine? This seems to me like we would have quite few more people out there experiencing problems from this that were teenagers and young adults in the eighties.

Couldn't find it either. That plus the overusage of words like "terrifying" doesn't make it seem too credible in the first place.

Because I've got terrifying news for you too. Did you know that when you go outside, you're exposed to all kinds of radiation including UV? And that UV radiation has enough energy to do all kinds of tricks with chemical bonds inside our body, including messing with the DNA. So, going outside kills you, according to this new HORRIFYING finding!... except the fact that our bodies have adapted to all kinds of damage and it's not a problem unless you decide to sunbathe for 12 hours straight. My point is, the extent and threshold matter. Just because something can be harmful, it doesn't mean it is in all imaginable cases.
furthermore, most radiation we are exposed to comes from decaying Radon leaking out of our buildings walls. ;)

well this is something I actually learned for an exam... Radon is part of some radioactive series. and there is one isotope that has a long enough half life to be able to gas out of the walls before it decays. it then decays into radioactive heavy metals (eg Polonium) which float around in the air and decay further. according to some graph, an average of 47% of the radiation one is exposed to comes from this (of course not if you never are in any kind of building ;) )

You're talking about really high-energy gamma radiation. Of course, sources of such radiation that can get into our body are orders of magnitude more harmful than external sources like background gamma radiation from Earth's crust, because it attacks "from within".

Still, there's more to radiation than just gamma/Xray radiation. UV radiation has a pesky tendency to easily mess with chemical bonds, and as we're made of chemicals it's not really good for us.

okay, if I think about it, the graph was actually talking about "radioactivity". so you're probably right. still an interesting fact though :)

I'm a bit confused honestly. I wasn't "disputing" your point, you're correct about radon being a big contributor to our constant damage due to ionizing radiation, I just added to the information ;-)

I heard they took a bucket half filled with coke, filled the other half with mice put a lid on it and shook it up a bunch of times. And when they opened it, they were dead! Obviously coke overdose lol

Not really

Clearly such ludicrous findings are the initial objectives of this type of " research " .
As is asked above , how high a dose [ and how often ] is given to the unfortunate mice ?

Obvious overuse of "scary" adjectives is obvious. Prohibitionists be merrily fapping away to the images in those narrow-minded knuckleheads.