• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lsd with/without cannabis

Cannabis really brings out the artful complexity of LSD visuals, I wouldn't trip without it, but I also am very cautious not to use too much. You don't need much. People tend to overdose cannabis anyways, since everything is uber potent now.

I have done LSA several times, and cannabis is really key to being able to enjoy it, it really brings out the visuals.

LSD doesn't really need any help in that department, but it does make the experience more enjoyable for me. It tends to give some "personality" to the visuals as well, in my experience. It helps add extraneous meaning to the nonsense, but also adds to confusion and amnesia.

Cannabis really brings out the artful complexity of LSD visuals, I wouldn't trip without it, but I also am very cautious not to use too much. You don't need much. People tend to overdose cannabis anyways, since everything is uber potent now.
For me tripping without cannabis is like having French fries without salt. Or an ice cream sundae without the carmel sauce and cherry.

This was my routine when tripping for 48 years. Take dose, smoke a few hits at the one hour mark on the come up. Settle into tripping. Take more cannabis around 5-6 hours after the dose and ride out the last few hours of the trip. Also smoke before sleep of course.

I was on parole in 1992-93. I was getting urine tested. So I did 2 years of tripping without any cannabis. That is special too. But as soon as I could I went back to smoking. Basically I always smoke with a dose and it totally enhances the visuals for me.

But I have seen people flip out from smoking during tripping. I had a friend that smoked during the trip and we had to be a sitter for him as he totally lost whatever plot there was. So then after that he would never smoke when tripping and quit altogether. Caution is needed. And really only a tiny bit is needed.

The first time I took acid (a single 110ug ds 3.0 tab) I smoked a joint at around the 4 hour mark and the increase in intensity was almost overwhelming. The trip went from something I was internally describing as "like weed but faster" to intensely warping visuals and difficult to escape thought loops. I enjoyed the experience overall but was confused and paranoid at times and I didn't enjoy feeling like I wasn't in control of my own thoughts. I would have felt very vulnerable were I not in a safe setting with close friends.

For the next year or so I swore by not consuming cannabis until at least the 6 hour mark, it bought the peak back with a bit of loopyness without feeling overwhelming. I can't remember exactly when I started letting that slide but once I had a few high dose trips behind me it stopped seeming so important.

Fast forward to last weekend, I dropped 5 100ug gamma goblin tabs, was vaping weed before and throughout the trip and felt more lucid and in control of my thoughts than I did at any point during that first trip.

So my take is whether or not combining them is a good idea largely comes down to experience and familiarity. If you're new to acid or don't consume cannabis often then probably not. If you're a stoner with a dozen or more or more trips under your belt you'll probably be just fine.

Oh yeah and don’t mix them if you like the clearheaded-ness of acid. Weed makes it more confusing/loopy. In a good way. Usually.

Last edited:
kind of off subject but to the people talking about the potency of weed, they had strong weed in the 60's and 70's... i don't think they were growing indoors under as strong lighting if growing indoors was a thing at all, supposedly in the 80's high times introduced that... but in the 60's, definitely at least the 70's from what my father says, there would be the stuff that i'm guessing was sativa smuggled from other countries that had crystals and didn't contain seeds. from all the outdoors i smoked, some of it has to be 25% thca, so i'm guessing if you had a hook up, it wasn't too much different, thca now days only hits 35%thca,... shit definitely changed in the 90's.. snoop smoking "indo" indoor weed grown under high powered lighting, was the same stuff we are smoking today, although they are crossing strains more. people probably grew outdoor nonseeded locally too if they were smart back in the day, some groups must've known how growing weed worked... maybe the average person didn't have good weed and mostly shwagg/mids was on the market (don't know what they called it back then), but i'm sure people like jimmy hendrix were smoking the good stuff. even my father who was a successful restaurant owner in a urban area with a good amount money could get stuff. i think he had family in the mafia, friends in motorcycle gangs, friends in the black panthers, and just a lot of random druggy vietnam vet friends. he never said who he got the best weed from... but they definitely had non seeded out doors back in the day and that can get to be potent, esspecially if tripping on acid. strong weed can be grown under just sun for light if grown under the right conditions and kept free of seeds.

also about dosing acid and being on weed. i'm with the other poster saying that above 200ug and i'm not really gonna want to be smoking. but a little bit on like 80-100ugs gets me probably stronger visuals than a 200+ug trip... one time i smoked on like 300ugs, everything turned red for an unknown amount of time, and then i heard a door slam in my mind and everything shot back to reality. it wasn't really too intense, but i had some chest pains afterward which i've never gotten on even higher dose lsd not smoking or on lower doses smoking.. i was probably just holding my breath or something and not realizing it.

I always prefer to be straight when consuming psyches as I just prefer the pure psyche effect for the main body of the trip, but I'd be loathe to take any without access to cannabis in some form

I never start on it until a minimum of 6 or 7 hours into an lsd trip though, but I can smoke a fair bit for quite a while at that point sometimes. Never had a moments issue with that scenario, oh apart from a few disastrous attempts at skinning up or making a pipe or whatever whicxh ended in hilarity

I suppose if you're too high to make a spliff or a pipe, well, perhaps you don't really need a smoke at that moment!

I never start on it until a minimum of 6 or 7 hours into an lsd trip though, but I can smoke a fair bit for quite a while at that point sometimes.
I'm the same way. I always pre-game with booze, weed and whatever, but I generally never reach for weed again after dosing until at least 6-8 hours, once the initial spine chilling peaks have come and gone. Then I tend to smoke quite a bit, but only a little at a time. You can feel when the weed paranoia effects you on acid, it really clouds your mind.

But I generally always take large doses. If I took 1 tab or something I would smoke a fuck load of weed the whole time.

Plenty of good pot in the 70's
It wasn't that good, but I think people became jaded with "uber pot"

I used to get high as hell on shitty mexican brick weed which was probably 2-4% THC

Weed is weed. What people smoke now is almost a different drug.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-17-at-10_17_53-AM.png

It wasn't that good, but I think people became jaded with "uber pot"

I used to get high as hell on shitty mexican brick weed which was probably 2-4% THC

Weed is weed. What people smoke now is almost a different drug.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-17-at-10_17_53-AM.png
impossible they didn't have weed better than that... i've grown out door weed with out fertalizer that was better than that stuff. and with how everyone talks about landrace sativas with such respect... i dunno. something seems fishy about that article and how this is being documented on the net. that all looks like it was grown in the shade with no sun light. where i was growing my stuff, i didn't even have full coverage of sun through out the whole day, but it was still pretty dense normal looking stuff you'd see on the black market in the 2000s.

supposedly in the 80's is when high times started with indoors.. i think i remember seeing some pictures that looked like those regular beaster orange nugs that are pretty popular, but that might've been the 90's... i got to assume that by the time rappers were talking about "dro" and "indo" it was the dense nugs like we have today.

in that pic posted, it looks like the 3rd one and 12th one could been about 20% thc though..

i mean, i guess i wasn't there in the 70's. i just don't see how seeds just got so much better.. like maybe most seeds come from indoor grows and that got them dramatically stronger.. that bud in that pic is mostly like hay shit though. the mids i would get in the 2000's were like 100percent better looking than that.. that would be shwagg and i mostly did not encounter that.

I don't think the pics do the nugs any justice. It looks like they are not trimmed at all, in their natural state.

i just can't really imagine why outdoor weed today would be so much better than what they have there in high times... like the only thing i can possibly think of if that's how all the weed was is that after a few years of growing indoors the seeds started to get better with the strength of indoor lighting... i'm gonna assume that all the seeds i got were once grown from indoor strains. i've gotten seeds from outdoor plants that will grow into perfect buds though, so with whatever happened to weed just seems really weird to me.

looking at this weed also got me thinking about if my personality were around back in the 60's or 70's. like i'm addicted to psychedelics and weed now, and used to be addicted to using weed in between my pychedelic use... i feel like weed wouldn't've been strong enough to get me by and i would actually be hooked on meth, coke, or pcp or something that i never really would've had interest in... smoking today's weed, i pretty much have no interest in other drugs.. i don't know if i would be the same if it were how it was back then. really thinking i would've had problems with harder drugs.

There was for sure high test weed in the 70s. it was not always around, but there was things called Thai stick. Then there was Hawaiian sinsemilla is like the good bud we have today.

The dirty Mexican Brown was around a lot. Then there was like Acapulco gold, Panama red which was good bud but not like the high test we got today

I liked the headies of the 2000s and still reefer to top quality bud as so.

There was for sure high test weed in the 70s. it was not always around, but there was things called Thai stick. Then there was Hawaiian sinsemilla is like the good bud we have today.

The dirty Mexican Brown was around a lot. Then there was like Acapulco gold, Panama red which was good bud but not like the high test we got today

I liked those old names…Panama red, Acapulco gold, Maui wowie etc lol. I’ve talked some with my parents about weed “back in the day” and they told me that, with the exception of “Thai sticks”, it was mostly just pretty crappy 🤷‍♂️

the thing i don't get is if you search panama red or columbian gold or whatever old strain you'll see images of stuff that looks just like what there is today, the rock dense nugs... wouldn't it be the same seeds and still produce good outdoors if they were kept free of seeds, fertalized and had good sun growing back in the day??.. i always thought that a lot of the stuff from the 70's from countries with long growing seasons were the sativas that everyone said were different and just as good as the stuff today. i dunno, i always assumed that had to have been seedless and pretty dense with some batches if people had the money to pay for it... that weed in that high times seriously looks awful. i'm amazed if years of indoor growing really changed seeds that much. i can't think of any other reason.... i really wonder what would've happened if we directly put the seeds from the 70's under some type of thousand watt indoor lighting and properly fertalized them like we do today... it looks like years of the seeds being grown with indoor lighting has just made marijuana amazingly stronger and denser.

Hawaiian was "da kine". At the very least comparable to a high end mostly Sativa nowadays. I'd say that Hawaiian would easily beat Green Crack.
Good Thai stick was comparable. Real Panama Red or Columbian Red Bud was a happy, syrupy, sleepy high (but different than Indica). The first real Columbian Gold was psychedelic as fuck. All very good pot, but I've gotta admit they were not the norm.

Look at the genetics of some of the good Sativa still around, they worked with a November maturation date for a reason. Sadly diluted at this point.

Thing is, as in all things, after the first awesome stuff, mass production and misrepresenting set in and things weren't as good. But, they were still good.
Hawaiian stayed pretty great, it never came in in large quantities anyway.
But, Thai sticks got commercial, they weren't as good sometimes.
It got to where anyone who had any nice brown pot called it "red".
Good brown pot was quite decent and what I shot for when the real good stuff wasn't around, but it wasn't red pot.

The big thing in the 70's as far as a more common pot was Columbian Gold. It was very good, up, happy pot for a couple years and then it also started being mass produced and suffered in quality. High Times even had a few articles on the "fool's gold".

However.

Even the more commercial gold was good pot. It retained quite a bit of the up, happy, Sativa, high and taste, and was still fairly potent pot. I'd guess it was like around the 18%-19% pot of nowadays, but the high was nicer.
It came around at about the same time every year and I, personally, would buy a pound or two when it was "in season". It's all I smoked for years until I bought an ISO 2 and smoked extracts for a few years, but that's another story.

If I had the choice of that old commercial Columbian Gold at a dispensary right now, I'm pretty sure I'd be buying it. And the Hawaiian of yore would put your dick in the dirt, kids.

But also, yeah, a person doesn't have to do backflips, shop ahead, and clip coupons to smoke good pot consistently nowadays. Commercial Columbian was what most people smoked most of the time in the 70's.

Hawaiian was "da kine".
Are you Kind? ;) (sorry I had too. :love:)

Excellent write up on the state of weed in the 70's. My brother (RIP 1989) was one of the biggest dealers in High School for weed in Northern NJ in 70's. He use to have QP's in his closet. It was all Columbian. I remember seeing the gold too. Red and gold. I would pinch buds from the bags but he said I could. There were a lot more seeds in the bud those days.

i'm rereading what i wrote and i wrote my father got bud with crystals.. i don't know what made me type it like that. he never told me that now that i think back, but i got some outdoors in the 2000's that had hints of purple and crystals and i always thought that must've been like purple haze that came around some places back in the day, just cause i didn't really believe that years of being indoors would make the seeds any better... don't want to write something that wasn't true. was just kind of lumping stuff together to write quicker.

my apologies for turning this into a thread about the strength of bud over time and not it's effects with lsd... cool reading about the stuff back in the day though. my father always talks about gold strains.. i'll have to ask him about "fools gold." that'll probably make him laugh... i think he must've been into sativas back then, because since the dispensaries have been open i've been giving him a gram to a half 1/8th every week and he always claims to like the strains that are sativa, even though weed makes him nervous sometimes as he got older.. there was this strain "chem valley kush" he was saying he liked, and i don't think he even picks the strains cause the smell, but he picked a few that smelt like that and some other non chemically smelling sativas as his favorites. the high must bring him back.

my apologies for turning this into a thread about the strength of bud over time and not it's effects with lsd... cool reading about the stuff back in the day though. my father always talks about gold strains.. i'll have to ask him about "fools gold." that'll probably make him laugh...
I contributed to going off topic too fc. Honestly I am a fan of big and dandy's. It puts all the information in one area. I think the only thing that concerns me is how fast time is going. I suspect I am as old as your dad. eh, someday we all age. :) But I was always the "kid" in the bunch. But the kid aged.

As far as the topic I know I posted this a few times. I always smoke a few hits of cannabis 1- 1 1/2 hours after I take it. Then at 5 hours later to reup and ride the rest of the trip out. 33 years ago I was on parole and got urine tested so I quit cannabis for 2 years. So in that period no cannabis with my trips. But once I was able to smoke again I did and always added it to trips. Saying that I have nursed a few people who lost the plot taking a few hits of weed during a heavy trip. I saw that with a few people. So it is an individual thing that only the person who decides will know what to do.