• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Daily weed smokers 25% more likely to have heart attack, 42% higher stroke risk

worth noting that CBD has a preventative effect it decreases your chances of a stroke, furthermore some people choose to vaporise it using a dry herb vape rather than smoking it

Then you have other factors : Genetics, Diet, Environment

Well thats bad news. Lights another one up. ^If it were completely free and I had an endless supply I would still almost need to smoke some. Oral effects are alot different for me (and I want to say subjectively for alot if not most people).

That is bad news; is this study legit? I dont feel like looking into it and inevitably poking holes in it like a weed apologist .....so I will take ya at word.

I think a big risk factor comes from smoking. There are other clinical trials being initiated for edibles vs smoking but its possible that the increased clotting risk comes from damage to the lung vasculature from compounds in smoke although this is just my educated guess based on the available evidence

There are also some case reports of heart attack from extremely high dose concentrates, around 2g of hash oil in each

I'm not too surprised as smoking anything is not good for you.

This notion that smoking cigarettes is harmful and smoking weed isn't is something I've heard over and over from people the last 10+ years or so. I've been a daily cannabis smoker for roughly 15 years and only just recently making the switch to edibles.

^True. I guess I was making an inference 42%/25% based on vs placebo smoke but I intentionally didnt read the story as I am bias AF. ....

Hmm well if that is true, no real science on long term cart effect beyond that vitamin e and contaminents to avoid. Edibles just dont tickle my funny bone the same way..... How much did you smoke and how much do you eat may I ask, or if not how about a THC mg smoked to ate ratio?

BUTTT I am totally not cool with 42 percent increase chance of stroke so um damn. Yea I always knew hot smoke wasnt great but damn 42 is alot.

^True. I guess I was making an inference 42%/25% based on vs placebo smoke but I intentionally didnt read the story as I am bias AF. ....

Hmm well if that is true, no real science on long term cart effect beyond that vitamin e and contaminents to avoid. Edibles just dont tickle my funny bone the same way..... How much did you smoke and how much do you eat may I ask, or if not how about a THC mg smoked to ate ratio?

BUTTT I am totally not cool with 42 percent increase chance of stroke so um damn. Yea I always knew hot smoke wasnt great but damn 42 is alot.

On average smoking 2-3 grams of flower an evening plus anywhere from 60-100mg edibles, every single night.

I know what you mean by edibles not 'hitting' the same as smoking which is why I preferred smoking for a decade but yeah, just can't do this to my lungs anymore so edibles it is from now on (for the most part).

Ok I am about the same but plus minus about .2 of live resin or rosin dabbed. Little under 3 grams lately honestly. Havent had gas to get to my favorite dispo and nickle and dimed myself so ive tightened up a bit.

*more to the point. 3 grams of flower would be a good smoking day for me, probably more around 1.75 on most days, dispensary quality but I figure you too.....however it takes me over 300 mg of edibles to reach lift off. These are distillate edibles are the rosin ones actually better? I have always found the effects of oral to just not be enough, over do it and its stomach problems and sluggishness. I guess Ill try aimin for a sweet spot.

I only skimmed the study, but what do they consider a "daily smoker"? Someone who smokes every day or almost every day? Cause that used to be me many years ago. Now I honestly only smoke (or vape or take edibles) sometimes on the weekend.

But those are some pretty scares stats. I know weed has some negative effects, but I'm pretty surprised at these.

Should we really consider this one study the final word on this, or should we consider more studies?

Also, would vaping be considered different from smoking as far as these outcomes? Cause I'd think it would be safer.

I would presume vaping would be safer and oral the safest. "what do they consider a daily smoker" see thats why I didn't read it. If I had to guess I would say self reportedly but I didn't read it again.

Oh no this study is not the final word by a longshot but definitely a warning about how weed prohibition has left a gap of knowledge. since research was so limited and the studies largely pointed and fixed. ....now maybe we will get honest studies.

Nasty cigarettes will damage me more.
I use a vape for flower. I think it's safer then smoking it.
Edibles doesn't always work with me. I'm either really high with a body buzz or nothing at all and I hate wasting money on something that may not work that day.
Anyone else like that with Edibles?

I've tried everything but I guess my digestive system is just weird.
A friend makes brownies from herb she grows so always the same batch so you'd think I would have the same effects but I don't
Really sucks because I love the high from editables and I sleep like a baby

Edibles never work right for me. It doesn't work right away or it's either too much or not enough. One time it worked right. We were having company come in from out of state and I wanted to have fun. he he

With all of the energy I put into taking an edible I would rather have a mushroom.

Edibles I guess metabolize different and I just have trouble with them.

When I melt my own butter it's different for some reason. It's feeling a full effect of the tee.

It might have something to do with the recipe and their sugar content in different edibles.

I do like my own butter and oil a lot. It seems just right for me.

But one time I did try a thc dispensary mint and it worked really good too. Usually most recipes are

just too heavy of a dose for me. Unless it's a homemade micro dose.

Sorry if I sound like I am really high right now because I am. :weedleaf:

Homemade is so natural and delish though. =D

maybe. no not really anything I see that I can call foul on.

I kind of question the statement 'furthermore in the study of rats SECONDHAND marijuana exposure is associated with endothelial dysfunction a precursor to a cardiac dissease' which is from source 11. "secondhand smoke: one minute of secondhand marijuana smoke exposure substantially impairs vascular endothelial function'. I find that tough to believe. I think source 11 may be bs but I have no way of proving it whereas they have already; according to them.

I think the take home from that is that smoke exposure causes endothelial damage, which as I previously speculated may be the cause of the increased risk reported here. Its nothing specific to being secondhand or firsthand, just smoke exposure